Ashcroft and smoke flakes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Lax

TVWBB Super Fan
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
I have two questions:
1. My thermometer has a smoky build-up, would this effect the accuracy of my temp read?
2. I have smoke flakes that come off the inside of my smoker lid ? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Thanks

Hi Doug!

My probes are in the same shape and they work just fine. I simply wipe them off with hot water and a towel after using. They are all over 5 years old now and working like a charm.

Always a good idea to brush the inside of the dome off every now and again. The sides will also start to peel at some point. I like this "self cleaning" feature that Weber built in!

Just use a brass bristle brush to do this.

Thanks Kevin!
I was talking about A mounted therm (should have mentioned that) but the application is the same.

Smokey buildup is normal both on the lid and the thermometer. When the smoker has cooled, brush off the buildup off the lid with a wire brush. Remove the thermometer and give it a quick clean with a piece of steel wool or a Brillo pad. Cleans it right up.

Same here, except I use a bristle brush rather than a wire one for de-flaking the inside of my WSM lid. That's porcelain enamel on the inside, too, so I'm looking for a lighter touch. Plus it leaves the beneficial soot layer pretty much intact.

Doug Lax
I was at a competition and saw a WSM that dropped a sheet of the buildup you are talking about, covered their chicken. Didn't help color much, was overall a failure as a winning technique.
Jim

Every now and then, I'll take a piece of used aluminum foil, loosely ball it up and use it to rub down the inside of the dome. This usually knocks off any buildup without working at weird angles using a long-handled wire brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back