Arroz con Pollo

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
We cook a protein at the beginning of each week for lunch additions to salad and stuff like that for lunches.
Often it’s just chicken pieces. I encouraged the MRS to try something new and she found a recipe for arroz con pollo.
A one pot meal. I recommended a few additions and gave her a quick rundown on rehydrating chilies and stuff like that.
She went for it and it came out pretty good.
My plated pics below. Gave her some high fives, it was a nice change from the ordinary.
I put a bit of cheese and hot sauce on mine with salsa and sour cream, not sure really what was needed.

Attachments

• 448E42CA-CAA5-4AA9-AEB4-B2E7D8F2B753.jpeg
    448E42CA-CAA5-4AA9-AEB4-B2E7D8F2B753.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 1E8598E2-569B-42EE-ADD6-3DF89B9E7BDF.jpeg
    1E8598E2-569B-42EE-ADD6-3DF89B9E7BDF.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 36
That looks tasty!

I've been doing something kind of similar. I marinate and grill up some meat on Sunday - chicken one week, beef the next - and
chop into bite size pieces. Then I make some quick cilantro lime rice. Those little "portion pack" bowls at WalMart are perfect for packing up
5 lunches at once - and my lunches for the week are ready. I really enjoy these and it sure beats having a sandwich EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. :cautious:

Yeah it's a great idea.....now to get away from having chicken and salad every single day....lol.
I don't eat much bread.....so never any sandwiches....I kind of miss them.
Burgers have now got to the point where it's just like a regular burger on my plate but sans bun. :cry:
Bread still sneaks in intermittently....pizza sometimes or a garlic hunk here and there.
We do it sometimes with picanha....or a pork roast....the week before this I luckily had smoked salmon every day.
Try to change it up every week is tricky but worth it.

We're in a bit of a rut on weeknight dinners... my 17 year old daughter and I have different ideas of what yummy means, but since she's prone to crying when she doesn't get what she needs we end up eating her favorites a little more often which tend to be on the bland side....

it's about time for me to whip up a 55 gallon batch of my Gumbo and freeze several portions for me to eat when she wants her dang chicken and pasta.... Worst of all she's decided she will not eat ground beef chili :(

She says she doesn't like ground beef "texture" and doesn't like beans. I'm going to make a batch of the Meat Church Texas Red pretty soon and see if she likes that.

Check out my thread I made with chili con carne.
I used stewing beef but.......ideally was going to use cut up chuck...I just had some on sale stewing beef.
Took another hours worth of cook to tender up but it was my first shot and by far not my last.
What is possibly my last is making chili with ground beef. This Mexican inspired chili with rehydrated chilies garlic onion and beans was to die for.

Darryl...great cook, man. Love your posts.

John, I totally empathize. The texture change is a good idea. Fwiw, my son went through a texture phase. Wouldn't eat anything ground on account of texture. I made him barbacoa and it changed a bit for the better. I used this:

Back