Are Weber Kettles really getting thinner and lighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
It has been suggested on more than one forum that Weber is cheapening their products by using thinner steel for the bowl and lids of their grills. I really did not notice a difference so I decided to get out the old micrometer and measure the thickness of the 3 grills I have. I will add to this list as time and grills permit.

All measurements taken from clean surfaces.

1986(H) One Touch Lid 0.031" Bowl 0.050"
1999(EE) 3 wheeler Lid 0.030" Bowl 0.058"
1998(EZ) Performer Lid 0.031" Bowl 0.052"
2010(AD) Performer Lid 0.042" Bowl 0.062"
2010(AD) OTS Walmart Lid 0.036" Bowl 0.053"

Stopped in at Walmart today and measured the One Touch Silver they had on the floor. I figured that as big as Walmart is that maybe they have Weber build them a 'cheap' version. The measurements are listed in my first post and fit right in with the rest. I have an H (1986) one touch that I can measure this weekend.

Hey, Timothy. I saw this and the original thread (unreal that Weber has had four opportunities and STILL has not resolved a damage issue on a new purdhase!). There does seem to be some question about whether Weber has somehow changed their grills, etc. to lower cost and keep them within their existing market space. Your measurements, to me, suggest that there have beeen changes made.

But I don't think that the suggestion that "change" equals "lower quality" is justified. If they can offer the same warranty, you would expect that the materials and construction merit the warranty. If they change the composition of the steel alloy, or the porcelain coating process, or a structural member, that could well mean a BETTER product. I would assume it could also mean a CHEAPER build process which should be irrelevant as long as the quality is there. I doubt any "feeling" or even measurement will tell us for sure.

What I do know is this. I have a 2009 built Weber Genesis E-310 and a 2008 built Weber Smokey Mountain, both new out of the box, that look, feel and perform wonderfully. Yes, ask me again in 10 years -- because I do expect to still have both.

I expect any company, especially in our current economic environment, to seek newer, less expensive and potentially better methods of manufacture. What we should expect is the same warranty and service to which we're accustomed. It appears that Weber, as one of their cost reduction moves, has pared their product line some. The new WSMs use an appropriate kettle part from any existing line as the water basin instead of a custom part -- better cost effectiveness and probably better quality. Some can complain that the new 18.5 water basin is "too deep" -- but some complained the original one was too small.

Ok, soapbox off. It's nice to speculate, and for some, to find fault, but let's do evaluate the reality and not assume that Weber is just pulling a fast one. Rich

Rich,
Yes there is no doubt changes have happened over the years. Yes, Weber does cut costs just like any other company. As you state not all changes are for the bad either.

Take for instance my thread on the handles. We all prefer the wooden handles. Some of us for different reasons than others. Lets face it though. Not only are the plastic ones cheaper to make but they do last longer. Yes they do get hotter, (I still have not tested the 2010 grey ones).

Wheels are another thing that has changed over the years. Some here may remember the old metal hub wheels with the rubber tires. More heavy duty but the metal was prone to rust. Now we have the plastic wheels which are cheaper to make and do hold up longer.

Another thing I noticed is that the bottom rack has been improved on the budget Silver kettle.
It used to look like this. But now has the extra wires like the gold.
webertri.jpg

all this info is good reading...
however, if Weber is cutting back on materials, they are not alone.
hundreds, yet thousands, of companies across this country are cutting some sort of issue with their service and/or product.
look at the modern automobile... is it built the same way it was, say, 30 years ago? heck, 10 years ago!? no way.
everyone pays for the economic situation we are in.
everyone is effected (in one way or another) by the ash clouds that have been in the news...
a lot of "luxury" items (such as Weber grills, believe it or not, a Weber can be considered a luxury item) are not on the shopping lists as they may have been in the 90's.
one more thing i need to say before i step down from this soapbox:
thinner material or not, plastic handles or wood, rubber wheels or plastic... Weber STILL makes the best****grill on the market and i'll buy another one if it helps them stay in business.
my glasses are not rose coloured
icon_biggrin.gif
sometimes my face is
icon_redface.gif

Party On.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Jim, this is the point I am trying to get across. Things change but the Weber is still tops!

You mention cars. I have always wanted a classic 60's Mustang. Well, since 2005 I now want a new one. Same styling but better build and safer. Better fuel mileage and more power.

Yes I am a Weber drum beater and flag waver, but with good reason.

modern automobiles vs 1960's automobile:
built better (i doubt it)
built safer (government + industry standards)
better fuel mileage (government standards)
more power (i doubt it)
icon_smile.gif

I dont know Jim.
I know a guy who has a 1969 Mach I and a 2007 Shelby GT. He sold 2 other classic Mustangs to buy the 2007. He says it has way more power than the 69 and is easier to drive.

I have another friend who has a 2006 Mustang Pony edition. I have driven it and was just amazed how much more enjoyable it is to drive compared to a classic 60's.

Getting back on track. Let us visit how the Performer has evolved. Most of us know and love the original 1990-2004 stainless steel model. I have one and would not get rid of it for anything. But the 'new' 2005-2010 model is built much more cheaply. A much more simple design that I am sure saved Weber lots of money. I would still be happy with one of these. Heck even an original Platinum would be just fine.

I'm wondering if the perceived lightness of the new lids on the Platinum/Performer are due to the change in thermometer design? Maybe the old design with the top mounted therm had any extra bracing on the handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back