Apple juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas Bjornerback

TVWBB Member
Hi!

I'm not quite clear on how and why to use apple juice:

* Shall I use concentrated apple juice or blended(drinkable) apple juice in the spray bottle (when spraying the meat during the last few hours)?

* Is it the sugar in the juice that caramelizes that gives the shiny surface?

/Tomas

Tomas...

Use the drinkable stuff. I buy the large containers and personally use the cheapest stuff. I have also used apple cider which is even better but not always available and much more expensive.

When smoking, the temps are really too low to carmelize...you need upwards of 500? to carmelize and start the Maillard Reaction. However, over time, the meat loses surface liquid and this is what forms the bark.

When the juice is applied, it will soak into the bark and then anything left on the surface will evaporate quite quickly. That is why I like to use some oil in the mixture...it will keep the apple juice around longer.

Hope this helps!

Wesley...

Equal parts oil and cider vinegar and then that much juice...so, 1/4 oil, 1/4 vinegar, 1/2 juice.

But, I just eyeball it!

I am going to start using that Scott's BBQ sauce everyone has been talking about. That will be my new mop for my butts....nice and thin with good taste. I bought a case of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back