Apple Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Being a newbie, and still waiting for the arrival of my first WSM, I have been reading all the posts and see where the vast majority of members spray apple juice on their meats during the cook. I am wondering why apple juice and other than mopping liquids is there any other juice that you use besides apple? Thanks, I still can't believe the wealth of knowledge in this group! Man, I can't wait to get started.

Bruce,

There is no limitation on what to use...Stogie (Kevin Taylor) uses a cherry yogurt and crushed dry cherries. I have used cherry cider, cherry wheat beer, balsamic vinegar, rose wine, white wine, apple cider, Jack Daniels, italian salad dressing, the list goes on and on...

Thats part of the fun...you try it and learn. Start first with established recipes. You can try cutting up some of the larger cuts so you can experiment with different bastes.

Chris has some very good starter tips and recipes on this site...start there and tell us when dinner is ready! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations on the WSM. You may not realize how wonderful a smoker it is unless you owned one of the other bullet smokers, but when you put a load of charcoal in and can do a full cook without having to add any....then you will know!

Regards,
PrestonD

Preston,

Thanks for the encouragment. I owned a Brinkman years ago when they still had the hole in the charcoal pan. But never really used it much. Now that I'm older and a little wiser and looking for new experiences besides throwing a steak on the weber gas grill for 12 minutes. I found this site and knew this was the direction I wanted to go. Looking forward to my first smoke will let you all know how it goes. My love of ribs is forcing me to make the BRITU my maiden smoke.

Hi Bruce!

Preston is correct....you can use just about any liquid.

I have used every citrus juice......whatever the kids are drinking, that's what I use! As Preston mentioned, this year I went with a cherry "theme" for the cook-offs and did rather well.

Now, I always use a combination of oil and juice....2/3 juice to 1/3 oil. Why? I have found the juice will evaporate within minutes of applying. The oil gives the juice "staying" power....after an hour, you can still see the moisture from the mop.

One reason apple is so popular is because it goes so well with pork. My favorites are apple, pineapple and I like my cherry. One I don't care for is OJ..just seems to clash with pork.

So, start experimenting..that's 3/4 of the fun!

Bruce,

This past weekend I sprayed a brisket and butt with cranberry juice. Mostly because I thought I had apple in the refrigerator, but my son drank it all. Anyway, the cranberry was great.

In the past, I have mopped the traditional way using a mop brush. But now all I use is a spray bottle. My experiece is that the rub stays on the meat better when you mist the meat with the juice or mopping liquid from a spray bottle. As opposed to mopping it on with a brush. I found that most of the rub and tasty carmelized bits stuck to the brush, rather than staying stuck to the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back