Apple Brine and then? WSM or Rotisserie on Kettle?

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Big gathering this Thanksgiving. I have been put in charge of Turkeys! So, one will be traditional oven cooked for the less-adventurous and the other WILL BE Apple Brined.

My dilemma...WSM or Kettle Rottiserie? Will use apple smoke wood either way, have had excellent results both ways. Just looking for thoughts and or input.

Last edited:
Looking forward to responses. We just ordered a Weber rotisserie. How large a turkey can it handle?

Can't say. I think the last one I did was about 14#. I prefer multiple smaller turkeys rather than a large one. There was room enough to have done two (12#ers ?) at one time though.

I must admit that I am a TVWB acolyte. I apply the same philosophy for rotisserie. Think about it, you can cook two 12# turkeys in about the same time as one 12#er and somewhat faster than a 24#er. (IMHO)

Oh, and btw, I have decided to go with the rotisserie.

Last edited:
For me personally, easier to keep kettle up at 350+degrees than to get WSM up...have done it, will do it again but for this event, rotisserie. I like the evenness (is that a word?) of the browning with a rotisserie and (if only psychologically) the constant redistribution of juices has GOT to be a good thing. (Keith praying to Ron Popeil and Chris Allingham, well, not praying but genuflecting, repeatedly).

Last edited:
I would have to agree with you Keith as far as the kettle is concerned. I don't have a WSM so I can't speak to that. I do have a Weber rotisserie and have done turkey on it with excellent results. I did 3 turkeys last year on my Meadow Creek hog roaster. The part I liked the best was no flipping, turning, basting...nothing. Just brined the turkeys, injected them and on the roaster they went. Excellent taste and cooked to perfection. Actually turned a turkey hater into a turkey lover!! The person was absolutely pleased as well as everyone else.

Overall, to me there is no better cooking than cooking over charcoal. Out of curiosity what brand and kind of charcoal do you like? Or do you use lump coal? I use Royal Oak Chef Select. I also prefer apple wood for the smoke. Slightly fruity taste with a mild smoke flavor. I use chunks. Do you use chips or chunks?

Jim

Jim:

At present, I am still a Kingsford user. I have tried but not converted to lump. In the past, I had a significant amount of hard maple scraps from a furniture project that smoked numerous butts, briskets and turkeys. I have since picked up some apple chunks and hope to visit the orchards next month for some cuttings. I prefer milder smoke woods, maple, apple, pecan.

Keith,

I did an apple brined turkey test run on my weber rotisserie a few weeks ago. I also used apple wood smoke. It turned out pretty good. The Weber Rotisserie worked well for a single bird and would probably take up to a 22-24 lb bird (if properly trussed). If you want to run two, they would have to be pretty small and well balanced to use the Weber rotisserie attachment IMO. My test run bird was 12 lbs. I am planning to run a 14-15 lb for the main event next week...

Regards,

John

Where is that :thumbup: smiley when you need one?

John: Sounds good. My first Apple Brined Turkey was a bit of a fiasco. Brined, dried, coals going and I couldn't find the motor. :sheesh: So got out the Showtime. Turkey is edible but NOT what I wanted to do. SWMBO came home and sez, (holding up the box which had been right where it was supposed to be) "Is this it?" ADHD is such a bummer sometimes. I had looked there twice, looking for the unit itself, not the box. Now that fresh turkeys are available, I will likely do another.

Keith,

Don't you hate it when that happens? My two main problems were that the skin did not crisp up and the breast was done well before the thighs. I am going to make sure that my bird is thoroughly thawed this time and I will ice the breasts for at least an hour prior to cooking to combat the uneven cooking. I plan to use a compound butter on and under the skin and I may spread my coals at the end of the cook and spin the bird over them at the end of the cook to crisp the skin. Good luck and Happy TG!

Regards,

John

Keith,

I did an apple brined turkey test run on my weber rotisserie a few weeks ago. I also used apple wood smoke. It turned out pretty good. The Weber Rotisserie worked well for a single bird and would probably take up to a 22-24 lb bird (if properly trussed). If you want to run two, they would have to be pretty small and well balanced to use the Weber rotisserie attachment IMO. My test run bird was 12 lbs. I am planning to run a 14-15 lb for the main event next week...

Regards,

I would love to do a turkey or 2 turkeys on the rotisserie. With chickens I try to buy the identical weight and turn one up and one down and both have to be trussed. I'm worried about burning out the motor. Love to hear how you do and what you decide.

Back