Anyone using the Maverick ET-7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade Leishman

TVWBB Member
New WSM owner here, and I was looking to get one of the Maverick ET-73 Remote Thermo's that everyone seems to talk about here, and it appears that The Gadget Source will hopefully have have a "new" (ie Non Broken) shipment by the end of this week, or early next...

BUT, is anyone using the Maverick ET7 instead of the ET-73??

Differences/Advantages/Disadvantages????

et-7.jpg

Maverick Webpage - ET-7 about 1/2 way down

Wade

The ET-73 is specifically for smokers and monitors the smoker temp and the temp of one meat. The ET-7 is for two meats wherever-- oven or BBQ.

Howdy...

That ET-7 seems to be a meat thermometer.
Those usually read to ~200 F and thats it, so you cant monitor the smoker temperature.

Get the ET-73 with meat and smoker temps and you?re in heaven, i swear ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Don Marco
----------------------------------------------

Edit: Danmit Doug, youre always seconds faster than me... /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Don Marco's observation is the key question. How high will the temp go on the ET-7?

If you decide that you want to use the ET-73 to monitor two meats instead of 1 meat and the smoker, you can always switch out the smoker probe to a meat probe, and use it to monitor two meats at once. I've had the probe up to about 390 when I had the meat probe dropped down into the top of the WSM while trying to run it at high temps... not sure how high it'll go above that. I didn't want to fry it. My Polders are programmed for different preset meat temps like the ET-7 looks to be, but I never use that feature. Seems I always have my own ideas about what temps I want for this or that.

That said, I LOVE my ET-73s.

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

I have the ET-72, which is the same thing, but with only one probe. It goes plenty low enough (and high enough).

However, because it is a meat thermometer, it will only sound an alarm when the temperature rises above a certain point. You cannot set it to go off at either end of a specified range (say, 220-260 degrees). Which, I can tell you, is a bit of a problem if you are trying to monitor smoker temperature on an overnight cook.

The 73 is was the best investment Ive made...besides the WSM. I use it even with ribs...I just use the smoker temp probe. I dont know why I even bother since the smoker is always dead nuts at 250.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back