Anyone used mesquite lump charcoal?

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
I'm leery because I'm not that fond of mesquite.
My neighborhood butcher sells it and says it's no different than using lump made from oak or another hardwood.
Unfortunately, his mesquite lump comes in 30-pound bags, a bit too for a trial cook or two.

Mesquite lump is plentiful and I believe is a favorite in Texas. I would grab a bag and start cooking. The only drawback to mesquite is that it sparks a lot. I really like it though.

Sure. Lot of the time for steaks, since the stuff burns pretty hot. Does spark a good bit, but most lumps do to some extent. Shouldn't be grilling on a wooden deck, anyway.

Living in South Tx and having a ranch i have more mesquite than i will ever need.
I like to cut fist size chunks of mesquite wood, stack the chunks just like charcoal, lite the chunks and when ashed over start cooking. This way is a lot cheaper than buying lump mesquite. Actually one could do this with any type of wood he or she prefers.

Mesquite lump is great weather for high heat Steak's or low and slow pork rib's on the WSM...Plenty of great flavor it inpart's.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
Living in South Tx and having a ranch i have more mesquite than i will ever need.
I like to cut fist size chunks of mesquite wood, stack the chunks just like charcoal, lite the chunks and when ashed over start cooking. This way is a lot cheaper than buying lump mesquite. Actually one could do this with any type of wood he or she prefers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm with you Noe, that's a great way to cook if you have the wood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there is little left of the mesquite taste in lump. wouldn't bother me to use it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George, thanks. That's what I couldn't get through my thick skull.
I will pick up a bag next time I'm at the local meat market.

Back