Anyone tried these?

I have sprinkled into my lump charcoal on other cookers and it works well.
But pecan shells are physically pretty tough and when broken into pieces can lock together. I would be afraid of jamming and damaging my auger because of the odd shapes.

Last edited:
I have sprinkled into my lump charcoal on other cookers and it works well.
But pecan shells are physically pretty tough and when broken into pieces can lock together. I would be afraid of jamming and damaging my auger because of the odd shapes.
That part would not scare me. I think they'll either feed or they won't. Though at $25 40lb bag pretty "spendy" when I am typically only paying $12.99 or $14.99 for high quality pellets

That part would not scare me. I think they'll either feed or they won't. Though at $25 40lb bag pretty "spendy" when I am typically only paying $12.99 or $14.99 for high quality pellets
If you only mix in some shells when you want a little more smoke flavor the $25 bag should last awhile.

I would love to try them, but I sure don't need another 40 pound bag of pellets I have ten of those in my pellet locker and shed already.

I was getting five gallon buckets of shells from my local pecan orchard for the last several years until last year. I guess someone talked and now they sell them. I sprinkle a couple handfuls on charcoal. Really nice.

Back