anyone tried only fire grate system - turn kettle into a smoker, $89 on amazon?

Kettle Zone Cooking System for 22 Inch Weber Kettle Grills - Turn your grill into a smoker, oven, and more https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KY2XFF4/?tag=tvwb-20

I have had the aura kettle zone cooking system for a while now and love it. I have never used the onefire version, but after taking to @MikeLucky about the space issues with the system design of the onefire, I would recommend the aura to anyone. I have posted cooks with it for the last 2 ish years here. Works great and I love it!
thank you Michael, looks good, I'll definitely search the forum for your cooks! best,

Yes Jeff I have done briskets and pork butts with my arua and still have charcoal to spare, the deflect plate does a great job and I have been able to maintain consistent low and slow temps for hours. It is a great product for some who does not have a smoker and wants to do low and slow cooking. Like I just posted I can't speak to the onlyfire, but I high recommend the aura.
michael, took a look at some of your great cooks, impressive! I used to get 12 hours on my wsm with a single load of charcoal, what's the longest you've gotten on a single load of charcoal from the aura? whole picnic and packers used to run about 18 hours, would love to get back to that on a kettle.

thanks, perhaps I should have been clearer, let’s pretend the product target audience is people that don’t own a wsm. for people that don’t own a wsm, do you think the product facilitates better/longer low and slow cooks than one can achieve without it? and on the charcoal issue, what if users chose not to use coal baskets?

best,
Ohh yes, then I can recommend it. Although I'd consider the aura one that @Michael Richards suggested if you decide you want to use it with baskets

I picked one up 2 years ago. I find it’s great for smaller weekday smoking when I don’t want to fire up the smoky mountain or when doing a hot and fast smoke

The problem with L&S on a kettle is the lack of distance between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate.

The Onlyfire grate system is trying to solve the issue. At least they've thought it through.
Weber's attempts don't seem to resolve the problems. A metal deflector plate doesn't deflect enough!

I tried the charcoal ring and deflector plate on my MT Premium but gave up after a few attempts.
I stick to using the snake method. Easy to see the coals, add more coals and wood if needed. Runs in circles for ever if you keep topping up!

The grilling system turns your weber into an indirect heat source. But if you place your coals to one side. And a aluminum drip pan on ther other side.you get a better indirect heat system. Easier to sear or reverse sear. The grilling system you have to sear before or after you place the system on your grill. If you want to make a raised grill. Use an 18" weber grill on a 22" supported by fire bricks. And pizza
stone as a heat deflector . Kumados have a smaller base for charcoal. Which makes it heat better more efficiently. But you need a heat deflector for some long cooks or smokes. You can't really position coals for indirect heat. On any grill smoker etc. Air intake and exhaust controls the temperature for long indirect cooks

On the Weber Kamado you can easily do indirect heat. There’s plenty of setup space due to the 24” grate.
Indeed.

If you need L&S on the WSK then you use the charcoal ring and deflector in the lower grate position. You get the benefit of full 24" cooking grate.

If you want higher temp indirect then it's the standard kettle set up on the higher grate position, coals one side, drip pan on the other. That comes with less cooking space and probably some (acceptable) hot spots in the cooking area.

I also like direct cooking using the lower charcoal grate position, especially for chicken.

Back