Anyone know how to raise the cooking grate?

P Mata

I have a 22 1/2 Weber and was wondering if anyone knows of an accessory that would allow me to raise the cooking grate a couple of inches so the food isn't so close to the charcoals. I am Hispanic and I grill mostly very fatty cuts, which cause a lot of flare ups and I don't like the taste of indirect grilling because of the smokey flavor the food gets. (I know a lot of people actually look for this taste but i don't like it.)Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try using half as much charcoal and cook more slowly. That should cure your flame up problem and you'll save on charcoal too.

P, work on controlling the fire by closing the vents when the lid is off, less oils in bastes, not crowding the grate, etc.

The Weber grate has the perfect height IMHO, and for fatty cuts, trimming even just a little from the outside can make a difference. I have disdain for flare-ups as well, so I usually only grill half a grates worth of ribeyes at a time. I'll leave a large portion of the coal grate open so I can lift the cooking grate and spin around at the first sign of a flare-up. Otherwise, I guess you could get a grill with an adjustable grate level like the Char-griller or try the Grillgrates. Personally though, I don't miss my CG, and I like how stuff cooks on my Weber grates just fine. No heavy grill marks and I get very even sears from the radiant heat of the fire.

Regarding cooking indirect, let your briquettes ash over so you know they're burning clean to virtually eliminate smoke flavor, whether cooking direct or indirect.

You could try to make some sort of riser to fit over the tabs that the grate rests on. Something like this.

Riser.jpg

I'm not very handy...or obviously a very good artist but I would think a block of wood with a slit cut in it would work...or have a machine shop make some metal ones...

I don't know, just a thought...

It would be easiest to use a little less charcoal AND let it burn like 10 minutes to completely grey over b4 you grill. Spread it out so the coals do not touch will cook cooler. You can always add coals every half hour or so on long cooks!

Im with Clint!

And Don: Love that setup. And the Bent corner in the far right is just blilliant! No more slipping grates! (joke)

Bet Dons cube would work great.

keep the lid on - I don't think I've ever seen a flare up on mine when the lid was on.
Agreed.

I cook lots of fatty cuts on my kettles. Just not directly over the coals. Don't see a need to do so. Can't say I find it any more 'smokey flavored'.

Thanks so much for all the responses. It seems like the general concensus is: use less charcoal and/or keep the lid on.

I have tried keeping the lid on and while it does eliminate flare ups, the chicken and bone-in navel brisket (which is VERY fatty) still burn on the outside. I guess I should try using less charcoal.

I use one full Weber chimney for my 22.5 weber. Should I use half of that? I just don't think that'll be enough to cover all of the grill.

Thanks again.

A full weber chimney is probably a bit much. Try about 3/4 full. Once your coals are lit, spread them and then close the lid and your vents maybe halfway for about 5 minutes. Kill the fire a bit and then start cooking. Cook with the cover on and learn to use your vents and cover to control the heat. This should prevent your foods from burning.

Using a full chimney of charcoal is definitely too much. I rarely use more than 2/3 full for any cooking session. Also, you will want to adjust the bottom vents to partial open and keep the top vent fully open.

Back