Anyone grill Papa Murphy's pizzas on a regular basis?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Wednesday is our takeout night, last night it was a Murphy's take and bake pizza.
I had our electric stove's oven warmed up, but just before my wife got home with the pie our electric went off.
PM does have grilling instructions for gas, charcoal, and pellet grills.
Their instructions for a 22.5" grill seemed a bit extreme, 60 fully lit briquets, 30 placed on each side to maintain 425 to 450. We stuck it in the fridge for tonight's supper. Thankfully the electric was only off for 2 hours.
I remember a someone saying they grill PM pizzas, any tips if you do?
Thanks!

I never tried PM but have used Home Run Inn and Vito & Nicks pies on my Pizza que attachment on the performer.
It has a stone so I fill both baskets and get them partially lit. I place them halfway on both sides of the stone and let that preheat till 450 on the stone checked with a IR gun.

For the grill, you have to take the PM pizza off of the paper tray. Which is tricky since the raw dough is sticky.

Best way to do it is to put the pie (with plastic still on) face down on the counter on a cookie sheet. Peel back the plastic and then slowly peel back the paper tray. Put a pizza pan on the dough and the flip the whole thing over. Then remove the plastic from the top.

Best results are if you use a pizza stone. Next best results are if you use a metal pizza pan. To help with sticking and browning, you can brush the bottom lightly with olive oil and sprinkle on some corn meal before putting on the metal pan.

The trick is getting the top and bottom equally cooked without getting burned. On a kettle, raising the pie up brings it closer to the lid which helps cook the top.

When you are ready to cook, you can toss some wood chunks on the coals. They will start to burn, which will give you some higher temps and also some wood fired smoke flavor.

Meathead explains.

Last edited:
Not on a regular basis but occasionally we will bake a PM pizza on the gas grill just like putting it in the kitchen oven, paper tray and all. I don't think I would do that over hot coals though.

Quick/dirty is to put the PM pie (with paper tray) on a metal pizza pan and put on the grill.

Assuming the paper doesn't combust (a big if), after a few minutes the dough should be set enough to easily slide the pie out of the paper and onto the metal.

To get the bottom fully cooked (leopard spots) you need some cooking time on a pizza stone or metal pan.

Thanks everyone!

Not sure I can help with the cooking, but I'm more than happen to lend a hand it the eating :)
I knew someone here cooked PMs on a grill.
My memory is short, your post was less than a month ago.
Your Giants are coming to StL, I need to whip up a Go Cards cook!

Their instructions for a 22.5" grill seemed a bit extreme, 60 fully lit briquets, 30 placed on each side to maintain 425 to 450.
thursday night is usually our papa murphy's night and today being thursday.... well.
16" Papa's Favorite / regular crust / move the black olives to one side / add thin sliced jalapeños to the same side / season with Kingsford's Original No Salt All Purpose Seasoning
however, our pizza turns out so damn perfect using our oven with a "pizza" setting, i feel it's a waste of briqs to attempt to try making my perfect pizza perfecter.

i'll save those 60 briqs for a nice hanger steak tomorrow

Thanks everyone!

I knew someone here cooked PMs on a grill.
My memory is short, your post was less than a month ago.
Your Giants are coming to StL, I need to whip up a Go Cards cook!
Cards played the Giants tough, I'm thinking a spatchcocked Cardinals on the SF :)

Wednesday is our takeout night, last night it was a Murphy's take and bake pizza.
I had our electric stove's oven warmed up, but just before my wife got home with the pie our electric went off.
PM does have grilling instructions for gas, charcoal, and pellet grills.
Their instructions for a 22.5" grill seemed a bit extreme, 60 fully lit briquets, 30 placed on each side to maintain 425 to 450. We stuck it in the fridge for tonight's supper. Thankfully the electric was only off for 2 hours.
I remember a someone saying they grill PM pizzas, any tips if you do?
Thanks!
Bob, I use the Genesis E330 for pizza. If you watch your temps it works fine. I used to do them on the kettle, but the E330 is so much easier to control, and I have not ruined one in a long time.

Here is how I do Pizza on the Grill - it works perfectly for both home made pizza and "pre-made" pizza:

FWIW
Dale53

Back