Anyone ever try this before

D M Sattelberg

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever prepped their ribs (backs or spare), rubbed them, and put them in a foodsaver bag and put them in the freezer. Then say a month or so down the road taken them out a few days before the big cook, thawed them, smoked them, and ate them with any sucess. Just interested. Thought this may save some time instead of doing it the day before the big party, when you can be doing other needed things.... Let me know Thanks

I know for a fact if you use a rub that has too much salt in it and put it on the ribs and leave it overnight the ribs come out like ham on a stick.
icon_redface.gif
Did that with my first ribs i ever cooked on the WSM so this i know is true. So as long as you don't use too much salt and they freeze pretty quick i think you'll be OK. BUT then you have to thaw them out and that takes time so you could run into the ham thingy again. Ribs are touchy critters so i would use caution with them and i would not do it but that's just me. If you were talking a Butt, Chuck Roll, or Brisket i would say No Worries.
icon_smile.gif

I buy spares in 2 packs a lot. One large rack is usually plenty for me and the old lady, so once I decided I would trim both racks, and foodsaver and freeze the 2nd rack so I wouldn't have to trim them when I decided to smoke those. Well, I don't think that was such a good idea. Seems to that rack I trimmed and refroze lost some moisture somewhere in the process. One of the worst racks of ribs I ever turned out, dry and just not real good. Once I thaw ribs now their getting cooked.

Back