Anyone ever try smoked apples ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Wanted to do some kind of apple side dish today, since it was my first time using apple wood for my ribs. Was thinking of smoking some apple slices and putting them in a kind of brown sugar, cinnamon sauce. Was just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this.

Bill, I have tried this before although not on the WSM. What you could try is the basic apple pie filling recipe(without crust) and see how it goes. The problem I'd always had is that the heat was always to low(in my old smokers) to get the apples to soften. If I were you, I'd make some pockets of crust with a simple crust recipe(or just grab some of the frozen crusts that they have at the grocery, size them to fit)..foil them and fill them with any pie filling. Here's one that looks pretty good and simple Let me know how that works out!

Wow Bryan, thanks for the link! I am going to have to try this next cook. This site amazes me with the amount of information, all you have to do is ask.

I did the Apples as described in the link above.... was GREAT... Big Ole' apples cored out and peeled, stuffed with Candy Bars and covered in Brown Sugar...

I would recommend peeling all but the very bottom... the "Apple Skin" that was left was more or less un-ediable, but the Apple itself was very soft and sweet...

It did take a while to get them ready, as I did 6-8 Large (Gala I think) apples...

Wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back