Anyone entering their Q in their local fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendra

TVWBB Member
I'm flippen through my local fair's entry book and see they are having and amateur pork BBQ contest.

We have to provide pork (chopped) with a tomatoe or vinegar based sauce, slaw and 4 buns to make them into sandwiches.

Everything has to be homemade (except the buns) and must include Texas Pete.

First place $175, 2nd $75, 3rd $50

I can't enter because I haven't played with making my own Q sauce and my coleslaw isn't that great.

Anyone look into entering in their local fair? I never knew they had that kind of stuff.

They are having food dropped off between 5:30-6:45 and judging at 7pm.

I am entering the potatoe soup and mustard chicken contest though.
icon_smile.gif
I'm going to use a homemade shrimp stock for the soup base and going to smoke some wings with a special sauce for the chicken...crisped under the broiler.

Hey, Kendra, that's neat! I still think you may as well try to enter the amateur pork contest. You might get lucky and win! I bet you can drum up something tasty. For the slaw, I just throw my (cider vinegar plus some rub) mop sauce was on shredded cabbage and carrots, then you can throw in some texas pete and voila! The perfect foil for the sammitch. Would it hurt to try? You know the pork itself will be FANTASTIC!

Kendra-

Where is this fair being held? I see you are in NC - I'm in Raleigh and would love to enter in a local fair contest. Like you though, I don't have a slaw recipe...yet. I'm not a fan but can give it a shot!

Thanks! Rick

Rick, it's the Dixie Classic Fair in Winston-Salem. Oct 1-10th. The Q contest is on the 4th.

http://www.dcfair.com/catalog.htm

Go down to the "Special Events" box and you'll find the Q contest there. There is also a link there to be placed on their mailing list and they'll send you a full contest catalog.

Deadline for registering is SEPT 1

I think that's part of my problem. I'm not a fan of coleslaw on a pork sandwich. If it was just pork I'd love to do it.

First place in the fudge contest is $600, 2nd is $300 and last is $100.

Kendra,

There are plenty of sauce and cole slaw recipes here on this forum, take a look at some and tweek them to make them your own. Sauce is not that hard to make.

Suggestion, match your sauce to your judges taste.

Kendra,
I know in one of Steve Raichlen's book (i think it is sauces, rubs, and marinades) he explains the various elements of a BBQ sauce and some of the purposes. I haven't tried to make my own yet, but I think I probably will. You can always start with some notion of an existing recipe and play with it from there.

I think the toughest part of entering a contest would be to not eat my entry.
icon_smile.gif

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back