Anyone else think meat prices are too high?

Pork roasts haven't gone up that much here, but HEB's "natural" baby backs are currently $8.74; their SL cut spares not much less. Found an off brand spare ribs for $1.89/lb, that were so massive, each rack was 7-8lbs. Check Aldi's if you have them. Otherwise, yeah the price of meat...

mcmillan.jpg

35 years or so ago I was spending some with my father-in-law.
He was a very wealthy person (he bought land for the oil companies) and he took me to 4 different stores on a shopping trip.
I was like are you serious???
I then got the talk.

Fast forward… Today I do pretty good and shop like he used to.
I'm eagerly looking forward to giving the “talk” to my future son-in-law ;).

35 years or so ago I was spending some with my father-in-law.
He was a very wealthy person (he bought land for the oil companies) and he took me to 4 different stores on a shopping trip.
I was like are you serious???
I then got the talk.

Fast forward… Today I do pretty good and shop like he used to.
I'm eagerly looking forward to giving the “talk” to my future son-in-law ;).
Was it uncomfortable having your father in law talk about the birds and the bees?

Oh he was teaching you about wasting 2 dollars in gas to save a buck on groceries. 😇

Boinking his daughter thankfully was something we never spoke about but thanks for asking.
Proper financial habits and how to invest my income was normally the topic.
Never was he condescending.
He started out poor like most of us.

My wife and I don't go out to dinner much, so we haven't seen the prices on menus lately. I'll get the occasional pizza from my favorite joint, but his prices are still very, very reasonable.

We prefer to cook on our kettle, sit in the back yard and just relax while the Weber does its magic. I have a Galaxy Tablet that I set up when a good ball game is on, and we'll watch that outside. The idea that I'm going at my own pace, with my back yard for ambiance, is exactly what I want.

Since we'll more than likely be moving in the near future, we'll also have a new perk during our cooks. My father in law will smell it as he'll live across the street. He'll be over with a plate! Will I share? Gladly.
We feel pretty much the same and don't go out to eat that often. We did go to our favorite brew pub yesterday for lunch just to see what they were doing about the new mask mandate. They are ignoring it, as we hoped they would, so we're going back for dinner tonight to support them. Nice to see a business bucking the BS.

Boinking his daughter thankfully was something we never spoke about but thanks for asking.
Proper financial habits and how to invest my income was normally the topic.
Never was he condescending.
He started out poor like most of us.
Hey you said the "talk" now you're talking finances. I wasn't asking just thought you were telling.. 😉

So i wasn't quite sure where to put this but anyone not bbqing as much due to expensive meat prices? I used to be able to get racks of baby back ribs for about $10-15 but now they are close to $30 if not over! Even pork shoulders used to be .99 a lb now are well over $2 a lb. I still have 3 shoulders in the freezer so I'm good with those for a bit but want some ribs! I want to make a few things but don't want to pay double or triple for the meat. Anyone else in the same boat or am I being too cheap?
Yes Seth, there are a few problems with the Meat Industry right now. Unfortunately a full response would require explanation involving things too close to politics to comply with the forums' rules.

I will simply say that our small meat processors, the family owned businesses unlike Tyson and other large companies, got put a year behind because of last year. On top of that, the drought out west right now is causing ranchers to look at having to cull their herds.

Unfortunately given all the variables both current and upcoming I think Meat prices have not hit their highs yet, though there is not currently the "Shortage Panic" that happened last summer.

Back