Anyone cooking high heat on a 22" with Stoker attached?

Mark Stallard

Does anyone else have experience cooking on a 22" WSM at high heat using the Stoker? I have been trying to run mine at 300* in competition, but even though I can usually get it up to temp, it never seems to stay there. It never fails that after about 1-2 hours the temps start to creep down until it settles at 250. I've tried adding a chimney of lit charcoal, adding lump, the temp will go up and then creep right back down shortly after.

The water pan is empty, it is just foiled to keep all the grease off it. I've tried shaking the ash off the coals after a few hours. Even tried loading with more lit coals, but the temp always creeps back down.

I'm thinking about trying my 22 with a Stoker. I had the same issue, but it seemed to get better if I did not have a lot of wind, the top vent wide open and the bottom wide open. Once the coals all got good ashed over is when I climbed to 300+ and stayed there for a while.

Yes, I do this method all the time. I try to keep 320 degree for 6hrs. My secret is to light almost a full chimney from the start, also you will still need 80% of the ring filled as well. Just like you are cooking for 12hrs. You will use the extra fuel. My 2cents.

Thanks all! I've been using K all this time and got hold of some Stubbs recently. Ran my WSM with a full ring, and 1/2-3/4 chimney of lit. I just let it run without putting any meat on (no time to do any prep) and did not connect the Stoker. Well, my 22.5" ran at about 340 for a solid 6 hours. I closed all the vents and it cranked down to about 275-290 eventually and ran at that temp for a good 6 hours more. May have been longer as I went to bed the last time I checked it at Midnight.

Try using a wind break/wrap around the unit. It has so much exterior surface that it leaches the heat from the unit. I use reflectix loosely wrapped about a inch or so from the edge of the cooker. Will keep temp then.

Back