anyone able to compare iQue 110 and Auber

Philip Madden

TVWBB Member
I'd like to get a simple temp controller for my old 18" WSM. I had been thinking about getting the
DigiQ DX but I can't justify the $256. I have been following the occasional chat about the Auber controller and it seems to be the simple, and cheaper, solution I have been looking for. Today however I saw the iQue 110 for the first time. http://www.pitmasteriq.com/ It does not look quite a user friendly and I don't know anything about the company (I know Auber makes good controllers though... just maybe not the best fans). Has anyone used one of these?

Oooops, somehow I missed the couple posts about the ique 110 a month or so back.. so I guess that helps answer my question. I can see there is a minor issue of using the iQue 110 with pass through grommets since it uses an alligator clip, but I could work around that. Anyone see any other pros or cons of either the iQue or the Auber?

I can only speak as to the Auber. The Auber maintains and holds temperature extremely well in my opinion. I actually think the fan is constructed and designed very well. The attachment is made of steel and the fan that is used what many other controllets use. Their patented design attachment is very easy to use. If your issue is the fan then just buy the controller and purchase the fan separatly. I havent heard anything bad about the iq110, I'm sure it works very well and similar to other controllers. I personally liked the way the Auber looks and it similarity to the stoker and guru when it came to looks, the look of iq110 did resonate with me. I also looked Aubers track record in their industrial applications, they also have a huge following in the coffee machine industry. Look at all the videos in youtube to help you in your decision. I also like that Auber does not advertise, their reputation and word of mouth speak for itself. Checkout the review on Naked Whiz review, http://www.nakedwhiz.com/produ...ews/auber/auber1.htm . Hope this helps, if you any additional q's please ask.

My opinion on the Aubers is just from looking at reviews, specs and their site. To me they are an excellent option for the $$ and you are not paying for features you don't want or don't think you'll use.

The stokers and guru units are more fuller featured, have more controls, pit/food probes along with fan controls.

I don't think any of the products are poorly built or overpriced.

Auber has a leg up I think when it comes to the fan mount - pretty cool. But since making a permanent whole for the Guru mount and keeping it plugged when not in use - it's really a wash to me. Very simple to just slide the fan into place. If I wasn't going to make a permanent mount point and using an existing vent hole, smaller permanent hole, existing hole the Auber design is superior IMHO.

I don't think the fan assembly is of any higher quality overall though than the Stoker or Guru units in terms of reliability, etc.

As far as quality I can only speak for Guru. Heavy duty high grade components. I've visited their factory and had a tour. The Guru BBQ business is actually a side business from the core company which is an industrial controls company. That's where the technology, components and designs were derived. They are actually in the same building, a separate entrance for offices with different names (and products, clientele of course).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
My opinion on the Aubers is just from looking at reviews, specs and their site. To me they are an excellent option for the $$ and you are not paying for features you don't want or don't think you'll use.

The stokers and guru units are more fuller featured, have more controls, pit/food probes along with fan controls.

I don't think any of the products are poorly built or overpriced.

Auber has a leg up I think when it comes to the fan mount - pretty cool. But since making a permanent whole for the Guru mount and keeping it plugged when not in use - it's really a wash to me. Very simple to just slide the fan into place. If I wasn't going to make a permanent mount point and using an existing vent hole, smaller permanent hole, existing hole the Auber design is superior IMHO.

I don't think the fan assembly is of any higher quality overall though than the Stoker or Guru units in terms of reliability, etc.

As far as quality I can only speak for Guru. Heavy duty high grade components. I've visited their factory and had a tour. The Guru BBQ business is actually a side business from the core company which is an industrial controls company. That's where the technology, components and designs were derived. They are actually in the same building, a separate entrance for offices with different names (and products, clientele of course). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's interesting, the Guru being derived from an industrial controls company. That's what Auber is derived from as well.

I can only imagine that they must be working dual probe unit that will measure the meat temperature with a ramp mode. If they do that I will definitely purchase it. They will give the more expensive controller/blower manufacturers some competition.

Agreed Richard. The more choices the better! But the real bonus to me is that they will improve, make changes, modify, etc as well as there is more competition.

BBQ Guru is really Thermo-Omega Tech. I met "Shotgun Fred" several years ago when I had that tour. It was he that took me around. I just stopped in to pick up my order and he spent a couple hours talking shop, BBQ, showing me new products coming out, etc. That was several (about 4) years ago and he was showing me all these books and experiments he was doing with Sous Vide back then - saying this was going to be the next "thing".

Very dynamic and really loving his work. He's the founder of the company or one of them. Really loved the BBQ side business. Heavily into it. Showed me some of the first Caldera's then, talked about it's development, etc.

Shotgun Fred

Can only speak to the Auber Smoker controller. Got mine last week and put it to use this past weekend.
Love it. Held temp between 223 and 228 with occasional spikes to around 232 when fire ignited mesquite chunks. Held temp all night monitored by Redi Check 732 set for low temp 220 and high 240. Not one occurence outside that range. Smoked from 7:45pm to 5:45 am with one load of charcoal and had plenty left to get a good start on a 5hr rib smoke.
Why did I wait so long to get a controller.
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Checkout the review on Naked Whiz review, http://www.nakedwhiz.com/produ...ews/auber/auber1.htm . Hope this helps, if you any additional q's please ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

did not have any luck with that link, nor with their site. Got a better link, or can you cut and paste the review? Thx

Back