Anybody use a Smoke Daddy Cold Smoker?

Troy O

Howdy folks, I just purchased an 8" Smoke Daddy Cold Smoker to slap on my 18.5 and I would like some advice on mods please. Click for reference I'm just wondering if there's something anybody has done that helped in one way or another. I haven't installed it yet, I'm still admiring it from my computer chair. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Troy, congrats on the Smoke Daddy. I have the the 8" as well, and I do have a couple of suggestions. The first thing I did is swap out the black iron nipple for a stainless one, available at a pro plumbing shop or Grainger. Did that to eliminate rust streaks down both the Smoke Daddy and the WSM.

However, I'm thinking I would like to replace the nipple completely with an inline valve. During hot smoking, you get leakage through the Smoke Daddy. The downside is its going to stick the Smoke Daddy out further because you have to add 2 "close" nipples to attach the readily available one (read: cheap), here

SS ball valve From Amazon

The other recommendation is about placement. I put mine in the center section above the the bottom grate of my 18.5". It's a terrible spot. The smoke Daddy hangs lower the bottom edge of the middle section, so when you take it off, it doesn't sit nice on the ground. I would put it up further so it doesn't interfere with setting the section down.

Fuel wise, I typically use chips from one of the big box stores, I've never had or run pellets. Burn time is a lot less than with pellets, which is what the site's are based on, but it's a pretty minor thing to add more.

Due watch out, it gets HOT! And it builds up a nasty smoke/carbon goo that needs to be cleaned occasionally. And getting it lit off can be a PITA, I've found a little starter cube in the bottom works best with the fan on.

Overall, very pleased with mine 3 years later. Just used it last weekend in fact. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks Carlton for the feedback. Your suggestion of swapping nipples is great, I'll have to look into that. About placement, I am going to go through the door since I plan on using it for cold smoking only. I ordered another door assembly from Weber so all I have to do is swap out doors for either smoke, and I'll still be able to use the cover when not in use. Your comment about the unit gunking up has been heard, I'll clean that baby after every use.
Thanks again, I feel a little more confident about using it now.

I am considering a Smoke Daddy as well. I have an iQue 101 and since I won't be running it during cold smokes I thought I might just run a tube to the manifold for the iQue. Thoughts?

Michael, if you have a way to hang the Smoke Daddy vertically and not on your smoker itself, then go for it! Otherwise, read the thread where I did some mods with mine, cold smoker included... Smoker Mods

Great idea there Michael, you have everything you need in one unit. I can see the Smoke Daddy hanging off of that angle iron in the front with a piece of sheet metal. Maybe you can use wing nuts for a quick release when you're done with your smoke. Just remember to use heat resistant tubing, from what I've read and heard the SD gets pretty hot during operation.

Back