Anybody try margarine?

Dan M.

TVWBB Member
I was watching Roker On the Road and saw that someone used margarine instead of mustard to adhere the rub. Anyone try it? I was wondering if made the meat more moist.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan M.:
I was watching Roker On the Road and saw that someone used margarine instead of mustard to adhere the rub. Anyone try it? I was wondering if made the meat more moist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, I always use butter to maximize deposits to my arteries.
icon_razz.gif
But it has to be similar to other vegetable based oils. I've used olive oil to adhere my rubs. I don't think adding oil to the surface added any moisture to the meat.

Jim

I saw that show too. I am going to give it try since I buy butter in large quantities at Sams club! What can I say - Paula Dean is my TV mentor!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I saw that show too. I am going to give it try since I buy butter in large quantities at Sams club! What can I say - Paula Dean is my TV mentor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They also had one guy who built his own smoker, and said that he didn't believe that flavor came from smoke, but rather from the heat. He smoked with absolutely no "visible" smoke. What do you guys think, new theory?

I saw that show. Blew me away, and I got to try it just to find out. Seems like when the butter melted away, the rub would fall off with it.

Way too sweet for my taste, Steve, but I do use a little unsalted butter melted in stock for brisket. Spares I use a juice blend but on the very rare occasion I cook backs I use a little unsalted butter melted into juice or stock, depending what I'm doing with them.

Dan-- Smoke flavor comes from smoke but the smoke does not need to be visible (if that makes sense).

As Jim notes, butter will not add moisture (I wouldn't use margarine for anything if you paid me) but it does decrease evaporation of moisture (read: water) and can speed cooking a bit (evaporation cools meat so it cooks a bit more slowly). Fats also contribute to mouthfeel and flavor--but you need to be careful here and think about what your shooting for. E.g., a butter-in-the-background flavor with a smoother slightly fatty feel in the mouth when eating turkey breast might be desireable (it is to me which is why I mix rubs with unsalted butter or a butter/evoo combo for under the skin), but it might not be what you're looking for with brisket (it might, I'm just pointing out considerations).

There are alternatives, however. Tallow and lard are possibilities too. Personally, I only like the meat's moisture as a rub adherent (and use salt separately to draw out moisture as noted in any of my riub recipes) but try different things and see what works for you. Note also that different fats can be combined. If butter is too much alone, e.g., try mixing 1 part butter with 4-5 parts lard or tallow. Another point: butter and most margarines melt at fairly low temps. Lard, tallow and shortening are stable over a wider temp range. That might be important to you in sme cases (e.g., for use on an overly trimmed brisket flat).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seems like when the butter melted away, the rub would fall off with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It sure can. How dense the rub is v. the fat and what you're using it on (shape-wise) are considerations.

...No, I always use butter to maximize deposits to my arteries...

Actually margarine is worse than butter for your arteries. It’s hydrogenated which means Trans-Fat. Even though labels advertise “No Trans-Fats”, anything made with hydrogenated oils is Trans-Fat. The USDA says companies can list “No Trans-Fats” if its 0.5 or under per serving (f***ing lobbyists). Any amount of Trans-Fat is bad for your arteries. With proper diet the human body can cleanse itself of saturated fat to control the level (depends on genetics for effectiveness). Tran-Fat does not leave IT WILL HARDEN YOUR ARTERIES. This also depends until another “scientific study” changes everything.

Sorry for getting of topic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan M.:

They also had one guy who built his own smoker, and said that he didn't believe that flavor came from smoke, but rather from the heat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's called an oven.

I agree that you don't have to see the smoke billowing out - usually ends up being just a slight wisp. But it almost sounded as if he was advocating actually no smoke wood... can't imagine that was the case, since he did build a smoker afterall...

They also had one guy who built his own smoker, and said that he didn't believe that flavor came from smoke, but rather from the heat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was trying to figure out why he built his own smoker if he wasn't going to smoke with it. Apparantly he knows what he is doing but as for me I will be laying smoke to my meat.
icon_cool.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Cooper:
...Actually margarine is worse than butter for your arteries... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks D.B.,

You made my day, and validated my lifestyle.

J.R.

Rudy's BBQ and Country Store down here in Texas uses mayonaise in place of mustard to adhere their rub. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about a thick slather of mayo on my meat, but they sure do put out a high quality product.

Back