Any way to rehab a cloudy hood exterior?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I have picked up a couple awesome old grills recently but a couple of them have that cloudy hood exterior. I am assuming once the hood has any cloudy-ness in the ceramic that it is non reversible. What do you guys do in this situation? Do you find the grills with cloudy hood will sell but maybe for a little less?

Thanks

JimV, I wish there was a Magic Eraser for this. My control panel has a haze, too. But like gray hair and hair in your ears, it's a sign of having been around the block a time or two.

EDIT: And I used to think that any hair was better than no hair at all, but not when it's in your nose or ears or back.

Ha!!!! great answer......well said. Yes I have all of the above sadly :( .....oh and my grill hoods are hazy too.
With my luck I dont want to paint the hoods.....I will just let them roll as they are.

If only these grills could talk, what stories would they tell...it's all in the haze.

In my view, if you are going to go down that road, don't do paint. It disrespects the grill, and it won't last. And at some point in time, when Bruce or Dave or someone else on the board finds a grill at the curb that's been painted, and posts it, and you recognize it...well, just sayin' that at some point, you gotta say, not on my watch.

Ya im not gunna paint em......I can barely get the paint to lay down for me on the the frames so I am sure as hell not gunna paint a hood!

Just find one from a donor grill. Black is really the only color that suffers from this problem to any large degree. The other colors seem to be immune or at least extremely resistant. Kind of like kids and Covid.

I love your signature......thats exactly what my wife says......the other day she said oh well.....at least you are making a little money from this grill thing.
My keeper deck grill is a green silver B Premium like the one u have in your sig

I love your signature......thats exactly what my wife says......the other day she said oh well.....at least you are making a little money from this grill thing.
My keeper deck grill is a green silver B Premium like the one u have in your sig
I think we all get that at some point. This weekend, she came out of the other room, and I said "I bought another grill." She said...well, it's in my sig.

yep thats what it is.........I wish I could push a magic button and have the cook boxes already cleaned.....my ocd wont let me leave the seasoning in there and I think they sell faster when looking clean....but thats a whole other story

JimV, I understand your situation, and it took a lot an investment of time and money to get here, but like I was telling my 16yo grandson tonight, there are a lot of ways to deal with rust and oxidation and yes, crud...but none quite so gratifying as sand blasting.

EDIT: I feel bad about this. All I was trying to say is that, when you are behind the sand blast gun, you have the power to make the world right. It's like metal laundry.

Last edited:
Oh man I would love to sand blast! That would make the hobby so much more fun. Bottom line is its the right tool for the job. How long does it take you to sand blast a 3 burner Silver B cook box for example? Can I assume you dont inhale any dust or anything else as well? I am sitting in my chair right now kind of mad at myself for not wearing a respirator tonight as I was doing light touch ups with High Heat Ultra.....I had the big garage door open as well as the small garage door and two fans running but as I sit here in my chair my lungs are heavy....I know better :( ... Does the sand blaster take up a ton of space?

Most on here don't do the sand blasting themselves. To put together a system that is capable of doing something like a cook box is too expensive and requires too much room and equipment. Most hire it out to local shops.

Ya I have read those threads and that seemed to be the consensus. I am assuming from Ed's response that he has a sand blaster ....maybe I should re read his post. Bruce I just picked up a grill like in your signature the other day. No its not a blue topper but its a cool ole grill and I look forward to bringin it back to life. Its the one I started this thread for though...it has a cloudy hood. But with some beautiful stained wood and a mirror finish she will look amazing.

Ya man.....I just picked up some stain yesterday. I am excited to sand my freshly cut poplar and apply stain to make that grill come to life.

JimV, let me send you a PM about the sand blasting. I'm not sure if this topic is of general interest, and I do tend to ramble.

Back