Any expert advice for my new CajunBandit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Piercy

TVWBB Fan
Just got my brand new baby CB for my 22 otg!
I am STOKED!! This thing is huge!
Any knowledge on burn times,fuel usage etc., would be very helpful.
Thanks.
-CP

I haven't used it on my Performer yet so I don't know what kind of draft to expect with the ash catcher in place. But with the OTS it takes a little getting used to the adjustments. Nothing serious, but once you nail it, it dials right in. I use mine alot with the Weber rotis ring and an 11"dia. ring I made or use the ring from one of my 18" WSM's. My low n' slow cooks have been ribs so nothing longer than 4-5 hours yet.
I'd drill out the pop rivets on the grate/waterpan brackets and replace them with nuts and bolts (2 of mine have failed) other than that I'm happy with it.

Cook on it again, again and again! Practice makes perfect!

Seriously, if you are using a OTG or OTS as the base for the CB, the bottom vents will need only to be cracked barely open. Since it's hard to see how open they are, you may want to mark the vent positions on the side of your bowl so you can see how open the vents are - Cracked, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 - Open - like that.

I love my CB and am amazed how much I can put on the smoker using the CB mod.

Pat

Pat,
I was wondering, Do you have your CB on the Kettle? If so how do you set the vents. I ask because I'm thinking about getting the CB for my Kettle. I apologize if there's a thead already on this.

Mac: I have my CB on a one touch silver. Pat's right, you just barely have to crack the bottom vent, like 10% or less. I leave the top vent open.

Mac -

I set the top vent to open and the bottom OTS cleaner/vent to just barely open. I have cooked for hours with the bottom vent actually closed since some air seems to come in around the sweeper blades.

I am looking for a used BBQ Kettle on CL (I have one at the lake but didn't have room to transport it back to Alabama). Since those have three circular bottom vents, like the WSM, it would be easier to control the bottom vents with this set up than with the One Touch set up.

I have enjoyed my CB and use it when I need to cook for a larger gathering and use my 18" WSM when I'm cooking for family.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">use it when I need to cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How is the fuel consumption on a long cook?

Man I want one...

Only problem is, by the time it ships my way, its close to $300 which is only $70 less than a 18" WSM

I saw Brian of left hand use it at a comp, and he had stated that there is plenty of airflow to have the bottom closed once you get it to temp and hold (lid open of course)

Thanks for the tips Pat.FYI..Cajunbandit is offering free shipping, (probably not to Canada) but in the continental US for a limited time. Check their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back