Any advice on keeping the temp low in my relatively new WSM?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi,

I am a Newbie to WSM. I have had my cooker for about a month now. Everything coming off of it so far has been very good though I think can be improved when I get a little more experience and skill.

I only have 5 cooks under my belt and my cooker still seems to be running hot. I am thinking I am using too much lit charcoal at the beginning.

I am curious how much coal others are using for their cooks.

Here is some background.

Of my limited set of cooks, three were of the low and slow variety, two pairs of BB ribs on two separate occasions and one pork butt.

I use the Minon Method for the fire, burning Rancher charcoal. I use a full water pan.

Even with all three bottom vents closed, I had been using the top vent to regulate temp. After spending some time here, I found out that it should be left wide open as much as possible to minimize creosote build up (which I definitely tasted in my previous cooks, though it was not too bad).

Last night we were having BB ribs and I wanted to keep the top vent open the entire time. I did not count specifically the number of briquettes I used but I figure about 1/3 of a Weber chimney full of hot coals on a bed of fresh coals. I had fought temperate with my pork butt last week so I knew I wanted to start out these ribs with much less than a chimney’s worth of lit coal. It was also a warm day here in the San Jose area.

Suffice to say with all three bottom vents closed and top wide open, I could not get a steady temp below 250 at the grate. Outside temp was probably mid 80s and the WSM is in direct Sun. The temp quickly rose to the mid 240s and then went, more slowly yet confidently, past 250 on its way to its happy zone of about 275. I ended up closing down the top vent to 50% for about 90 min of the cook and removing about 20 lit coals from the fire. My cooking temp was north of 250 the entire time.

My ribs came out good though drier than the first pair I did about two weeks ago when I was using the top vent to keep temps at 250 or below. On the plus side, I could not taste any creosote.

Next time, I am going to try only using 10 or even less lit coals to start the fire, especially if the outside temp is warm again.

Does this sound like a good plan to hopefully keep temps lower or is there something else I should consider? Thanks

If it's running too hot, the updraft in the bullet is drawing air through the joint at the bottom and mid section.
Clean the bottom lip, go to your nearest Big Green Egg dealer and buy a felt gasket for a large egg. About 12 bucks. It has adheasive on one side. Wrap it over the lip of the bottom section. This will stop all the leakage you are experiencing there. I did this mod to both of mine and I now have excellent temp control. The temperatures react much faster also because you are not uncluding the leakage input to the fire.
Good luck,
db

Did you follow the directions for the MM, or did you vary? THe meat needs to be cold and when in doubt, use less lit then you think you need. Also, assemble the smoker and put the meat on as soon as you put the lit coals on.

Sometimes I'll also start with some bottom vents closed.

Yes, Joh, it sounds like a better approach. The other thing you might consider: shade. Cooking in direct sun makes it harder to maintain lower temps, especially if ambient temps are fairly high. An awning or umbrella, if you have room, can help immensely. (I cook in direct sun often but I cook spares at ~290 lid, BBs at 325, both finished foiled at higher temps. I smoke belly, salmon, etc., early in themorning or in the evening because I cannot maintain low temps in the sun.)

If your ribs were chewy/dry they were undercooked; tender/dry they were overcooked. Within reason, cooking temp has little to do with a dry finish. But cooking at higher temps does narrow the 'done' window, especially if not foiling. (Foiling is not required for successful ribs.)

It is best not to close the upper vent at all.

Make sure your middle section seats correctly. as Dave notes. Air intake from the middle section (which happens if it isn't seated right or is out-of-round) can allow temps to climb even with all lower vents closed.

Welcome to the board.

Joh,
Check how well your fuel door fits. I found that was a problem with the WSM I bought recently. I think that was the main problem I had on my first couple of smokes in addition to starting with too many lit briquettes. You also may have to rotate the center section to get the best fit.

I've been using no more than 10-12 briquettes when I used Rancher with MM.

I also shut the bottom vents COMPLETELY when the temp hits 200 degrees at the dome.

I should also mention that I use a partially filled pan of sand rather than water so that I never have to open the fuel door when it's a low and slow cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I should also mention that I use a partially filled pan of sand rather than water so that I never have to open the fuel door when it's a low and slow cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you put foil or anything over the sand? i have been thinking about trying this. also do you use the stock pan or the brinkmann charcoal bowl?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I should also mention that I use a partially filled pan of sand rather than water so that I never have to open the fuel door when it's a low and slow cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you put foil or anything over the sand? i have been thinking about trying this. also do you use the stock pan or the brinkmann charcoal bowl? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stock pan about 1/3 full with sand pulled up on sides. Foil the pan. Easy cleaning and I don't need to open the fuel door to add water.

thanks
icon_cool.gif

Wow, lots of good responses and suggestions. Thanks very much!

I am going to try using less coals to start my MM cooks and shade (not as convenient but an acceptable option for longer cooks) and then the gasket if it does not work out (great idea). I will also try to keep the top vent 100% open as strongly suggested.

As for my ribs, they were tender and slightly dry. They were good, not really dry just slightly dry. I eat them with a little sauce whereas, the first pair I did a couple weeks ago, when I was using the top vent a bit more aggressively and kept the temp lower, needed no sauce. That said, I preferred these ribs more than the first set, especailly when reheated. For lack of a better description, they tasted cleaner.

When I first started I wasn't actually counting my coals and had heat issues. I would just pour in 1/3 a chimney starter or whatever. If you take the time to count out the precise number of lit coals, it becomes much easier to learn how that impacts the temperature and speed of lighting, particularly if the top vent remains constant and you choke off the air supply with the bottom vents.

I am going to try 8-10 lit coals and so how that goes. It is probably better to start low and go up rather than start with too many.

I just emptied my WSM to put in some lump for grilling tonight. I had a lot of usable coal left over from the rib cook a few days ago so I clearly can get by with a lot less.

I cannot wait for another low and slow session...hmmm...Mr Brown is calling me.

Back