Anther HH brisket question

Cory L.

TVWBB Member
Did my first this weekend (only the flat) and it turned out great but I was hoping to get more of a smoke ring though. I have been thinking (dangerous I know)but I was wondering if I would get a better smoke ring by cooking the flat at a lower temp. initially, say around 250 until internal temp is 170 then foiling and cranking things up to the 350-375 range until done. My thinking is at the lower temp initially, I have a better chance of developing a nice smoke ring as it should take the meat longer to reach 170. Any problems with my thinking? Will the high heat at the end of the cook screw up my results? Thank for the help.

Cory, Different methods for different folks. Some say to put the meat on cold. This way you have a longer exposure to the smoke. Meat supposedly stops forming a ring about 140 degrees, or so I've read. Ken here on the forums has addressed the low to high heat approach. If I remember correctly it is the high heat that does the best in select or choice cuts. I have done 2 HH briskets. One on my WSM and one on my Weber Kettle. Same temps for both but better smoke ring on the WSM. I think some put their meat on as the temps are rising, I wait till I reach temp but if you do it earlier you will have longer exposure time to smoke.

Mark

My thoughts are that smoke rings form best when the meat is cold and is caused by a chemical reaction between the meat and nitric acid that forms on the meat surface. Optimal conditions for ring formation degrade once the meat goes over 140. So I would recommend putting the meat on straight out of the fridge right after starting your coals. A slow rise in temp can yield a larger ring.

Paul

Thanks guys. I did take it right out of the fridge and then on to the smoker however I let the WSM come up to temp first. I will try putting it on right away this weekend.

So is the low heat then to high heat not a real good idea then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cory L.:
Thanks guys. I did take it right out of the fridge and then on to the smoker however I let the WSM come up to temp first. I will try putting it on right away this weekend.

So is the low heat then to high heat not a real good idea then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As with most BBQ methods it is open to opinion. I personally have only done either low and slow or HH not both on the same cook.

Want a smoke ring, rub the brisky then put back in the fridge while you start up the WSM. When you start your mm and assemble it, pull out of the fridge and put it on to get this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back