another turkey question

Nicole

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, How does fresh herbs work with smoking? I LOVE rosemary and I always stuff my turkey with it when I bake it. Will it add to the flavor, or will the smokey flavor take over? Sorry about all the questions. You can tell I'm new.

Aromatics in the cavity work in the WSM just as in a conventional oven-- just don't overstuff whatever you put in there. You can, as a complement to your flavor brine, steep fresh rosemary, apple and lemon wedges, cinnamon sticks and/or quartered onions in near-boiling water for a few minutes before placing them in the bird. Remember that poultry really soaks up smoke, so go relatively light on the wood in order not to end up with over-bearing smokiness.

Nicole:

I know this isn't BBQ-related, but I deep-fry my turkeys with a sprig of fresh rosemary in the cavity.

MMMMM-mmmmm- Good!
icon_biggrin.gif

Mark
icon_cool.gif

I agree with Doug - go easy on the smoke wood as a little goes a long way with poultry.

As for herbs in the cavity - you can add just about anything you want. I usually wipe the inside cavity with a cut lemon, then sprinkle salt, pepper and any other seasonings (whatever rub you want), then add whatever herb (either rosemary or oregano are work great). Then I add onion chunks (quartered), lemon quarters, an apple quartered, a few crushed garlic cloves and a dab of butter. You can omit the garlic if you wish.

I also lightly rub the outside with an oil, and then sprinkle a good amount of rub, and then rub it all in.. Did this on Tuesday and it was fantastic. By the way, this is outstanding with cornish hens also.

Ray

I agree with Doug. On turkey less is better when smoking. I use Kingsford with a foiled, empty water pan and maybe one medium chunk of pecan.

One orange cut up in the cavity, and black pepper all on the outside and inside.

I have never had anything but Oooooo's and Aahhhh's when I cook one this way.

Isnt Alabama Great?

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Back