(Another) Question about "Mr. Brown"

Scott Michaels

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking two butts today. One is Mr. Brown and the other is the mustard rub recipe. This is my second time making Mr. Brown (the first was only last week). Everyone loved it, but it was a bit too peppery for my wife (hence 2nd butt using the mustard rub). Anyway, I didn't do this the first time, because it doesn't say so in the Mr. Brown recipe (but it does in the mustard rub recipe), should I mix any left over rub in the pork (Mr. Brown) after I pull it? Or just leave it as is?

Easy enough to try out on a sample portion and decide for yourself, or you could just do half.

I normally add some kosher salt afterwards and mix it in just to bring out some flavor. Not too much though, don't want to give it a salty taste.

I add both rub and sauce to my pulled pork - both added "to taste". Maybe you should get your wife to help you with the seasoning. A family that spices together, eats happily together
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Baker:
You sure nailed that one Rich!!!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes you feel like a nut .......
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the replies.

However, now I have a timing question. I thought both of my butts were about 5.5 pounds. I measured them crudely by stepping on a bathroom scale, so I don't guarantee the accuracy. However, they've now been both on for 15 hours each. One is in the 180s, and the other is only in the lower 170s (measured in several spots). The lid temp has been close to 250 all day. I even double checked the accuracy of my candy thermometer and my instant read thermometer with the boil test since I've started my cook, and they're both accurate.

I'm glad I gave myself so much leeway, because I still have 2 1/2 hours before they're "scheduled" to be done, but I'm confused on why they're taking so long.
icon_confused.gif

In the words of the late Orson Wells: "We will server no swine before its time." Each one's a little different and renders differently. You can always take one out and pull it while you wait for the other one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm glad I gave myself so much leeway, because I still have 2 1/2 hours before they're "scheduled" to be done, but I'm confused on why they're taking so long </div></BLOCKQUOTE>At what temps are you cooking?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
He said the lid temp is 250 - so whats the temp at meat level - 225? 200? Maybe thats why they are taking a long time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, I only know the lid temp. However, this was just frustrating to me, because I ended up having to cheat and double-wrap both butts in aluminum foil and cranking up the heat to a lid temp of about 280. By doing this, both butts still took over 16 hours. Even though they both turned out great, something doesn't seem right with the way I'm smoking for it to take over five hours longer than it should have (and I cheated).

What should the grate temp be, and what's a simple/cheap method of taking it without having to open the lid to look? Could I just lay one of my meat probes on it?

Man, I'm blind. Even after Rich said you said 250 I still didn't see it right away.

There really isn't much need to take grate temps as well as lid--one o4 the other is fine. If you are running a conventional set-up (with water in the pan) your temps at the top grate should have been 225-235-8, the high side of that more likely. (Of course, check your lid therm for accuracy. What are you using for a lid therm?)

While it's tempting to say 'all butts are different' or some such that really isn't the case. There is little more standardized than production pork and you're right, 16+ plus foil is not what one would expect for 5.5-pounders unless you were running at temps 20 degrees (or so) below what you thought you were. It would seem that either the therm is off or the placement of it skewed the number.

(No, btw, you don't want to put a therm on the grate. You can run it through a potato and put that on the grate but then you still have to open the lid. However, if you want to try that, you can position the therm face in such a way the you only need to open the lid very little--just enough to see the therm, lifting it straight up to retain heat--then replacing it right away.)

If you have meat probes, no problem - get a bottle of wine with a cork - drink it (get your wife or SO to help
icon_razz.gif
) drill a hole thru the cork, if the wine had a screw cap or plastic thingee, get another bottle of wine with a cork cork, drink it - drill a hole thru the cork, push a meat probe thru the cork, put it on the grate near the pork butt.

While the butt cooks drink another bottle of wine (just for fun)
icon_biggrin.gif
and monitor both the grate temp with the probe and the lid temp however you have been doing it.

drink another bottle of wine.
icon_biggrin.gif

Another thing: I have had low/slow butts stall again in the 180s, sort of a second plateau. In those cases I either leave then alone for a couple hours more and then remove them--irrespective of temps--and then foil/rest, and they're just fine, or I bump the heat up by 30-40 degrees and that will push them onward (I don't foil but I am rarely pressed for time) and I pull them when they're done.

I cannot explain the phenomenon. It only happens occasionally.

Back