Another plus for no salt

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
I did a 1/2 ham(Cook's brand) Saturday evening. Wanted something different for a glaze. Took about 1C of dried cherries that I had in the freezer,coarsly chopped them and put in a pot with 3 C of orange juice. simmered for a while to get the goodie from the cherries. Strained,added about 1/4 cup of Steen'd Cane syrup. The kicker is that I put 2 TBSP of the rub I made for my pork butts from the 4th of July. Reduced until it coated the back of a spoon. Smoked the ham over apple for about 2-1/2 hrs @325 or so. Point is that it was fantastic. I couldn't ahve done it had I put the mixed the salt in with the rub originally. I thin kof seasoning mixes and rubs as the same thing. "Rub" is a verb and a noun.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did a 1/2 ham(Cook's brand) Saturday evening. Wanted something different for a glaze. Took about 1C of dried cherries that I had in the freezer,coarsly chopped them and put in a pot with 3 C of orange juice. simmered for a while to get the goodie from the cherries. Strained,added about 1/4 cup of Steen'd Cane syrup. The kicker is that I put 2 TBSP of the rub I made for my pork butts from the 4th of July. Reduced until it coated the back of a spoon. Smoked the ham over apple for about 2-1/2 hrs @325 or so. Point is that it was fantastic. I couldn't ahve done it had I put the mixed the salt in with the rub originally. I thin kof seasoning mixes and rubs as the same thing. "Rub" is a verb and a noun. Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because I have Meniere's syndrome, I have to go no-salt with everything. Hams are made with enough salt already than I cannot eat them.

There are a lot of resources out there for folks who want or need to avoid salt in their barbecue.

I was unsure what Meniere's Syndrom was. Must be a constant battle. There is sodium in EVERYTHING on the market that is pre-processed.
My wife is salt-sensitive so I have a small understanding of the problem. The seasoning mix that i make uses dried herbs from Penzeys and from out herb garden. As afr as I can tell, it has no salt at all.My wife and I love to cook with it. I add the salt to my portion later.

Back