Another Coleslaw

To taste. I add 1 to 2 tsp - just enough to balance the tartness without masking it. I'm not fond of very sweet coleslaw, especially on a barbecue plate. Add a little, mix well, then adjust from there.

Forgive my ignorance but how exactly do you salt wilt cabbage? I made this last night and just seasoned the cabbage liberally and let strain for roughly 2.5 hours. Even though it turned out very good and everyone liked it Im assuming too much water left in the cabbage made it way too runny which I didnt care for....So next time I would like the liquid to stick to the cabbage more should I have used more salt to extract more water? Thanks for any help...

Weight it:

Salt-wilt the vegetables: Toss the green cabbage together with the carrot, red cabbage (if using), and 1 T salt in a large colander. Put the colander in the sink (or if the sink is not available put the colander in or over a large bowl). Weight the veg mixture down by filling a gallon Ziploc almost full of water, zipping it closed and placing it on top of the vegs, or by placing a clean plate that's just large enough on the vegs and placing a weight (4-5 unopened soup cans or the like) atop the plate. Allow the veg to drain 2-3 hours. (See note.) Remove the weight, fluff the vegetables and, using paper towels (in order to gently blot them), scoop up a handful of vegs at a time and transfer them to a large bowl.

Thanks....I did read that and did weight it down with the 1g zip lock bag however I did not pat them dry with paper towels which I would imagine could have made all teh differance...Thanks again.

So after drying a little with the paper towels this slaw is the new favorite among the family. This is very very tasty thank you!

looking to make this as a side for turkey/ham potluck for my kids school party. I am not a big fan of pickles, would something else be a good substitute (like capers) or just leave them out

You could. Rinse them first.

But I've made this for many who don't care for pickles and they really like it anyway. They should be very finely minced. The proportion of pickle to the rest of the ingredients is low.

Your choice.

I had to cheat the last time I made this for a potluck BBQ. I used sweet pickle relish. It came out great. Highly recommend the salt-wilting. Won't do a coleslaw any other way now.

I like to salt my cabbage too before making the coleslaw. I hate it when the coleslaw get watery after its been sitting for a while.

Originally posted by John Solak:
I like to salt my cabbage too before making the coleslaw. I hate it when the coleslaw get watery after its been sitting for a while.

So if you read in my earlier posts I seem to have solved the watery problem at FIRST. However in the rare chance there is any leftover it does become pretty watery. Is this expected? Personal experiences?

Thanks

I haven't salt-wilted the veg before, and am thinking about doing this for my next batch of cole slaw. one stupid question though, does salt-wilting the veg make them less crisp when you eat the slaw?

Back