Another Brisket question

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

This weekend I plan to cook my first brisket and plan to use a receipe from Steve Raichlen's book that I have done before on a grill. It calls for putting the meat in a aluminum tin and mopping it every hour. When I have done it on the grill, it has come out really good. Can I do the same procedure - putting in tin - on the WSM? Should I modify the mopping to what is described in the brisket section on this website?

Thanks

I can't address cooking the brisket in an aluminum pan as I've never done that on any smoker, but if you take that lid off the WSM every hour to baste, I'm afraid you're going to lose WAY too much heat. Try basting on the halves - if you think you'll have a 14 hour cook, then baste at 7 hours for the 1st time, then again after another 3.5 hours, then again after another 1.75 hours. That's what I learned from those who are much wiser in the ways of smoke than I...

That midnight brisket cook at does come out might fine, I might add.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Thanks Keri. That is what I was planning to do with regards to the basting.

Anyone else with an opinion on the alumninum pan?

I'm not sure I'd want the meat sitting in what's supposed to rendering out of it. Might not be the worst thing, but I'd be afraid of it turning into pot roast.

Barry,

I have used the texas-style recipe in the Al tin. It was wonderful on my kettle. I did it 3 weeks ago and basted the brisket after about 3 hours of cooking. I just orderd my WSm so i dont know how it would do on the Wsm. However, i used the same rub on a 6 lb. chuck roast this past weekend, with no pan on my kettle. Only using a water pan under nieth. It was Awesome. Let me know how you do the brisket. The big brown truck is bringing my WSM tommarrow and i will probably cook a brisket Sunday.

good luck!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back