And....I'm brining.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike King:
I've got my turkey in the brine just counting down the hours till I fire up the smoker. I've had my WSM for about 3 months and have had some great success so far. I'm suprised my wife gave me the go ahead to smoke the turkey for her family on Thanksgiving.

I went with a kosher salt and brown sugar brine right off the site. If this goes well, I'll try another one next time with some Jack Daniels brine.

For a 20 pound bird, how long on the smoker, assuming 325?

Top or bottom rack?

Nothing in the water pan, just catch the drippings? I was thinking apple juice, but sounds like no, just dry.

Wish me luck!

MJK </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same question as Mike except I'm going to oven roast my turkey because I'm out of town and my smoker is at home. I've seen mixed reports on the internet of how long to cook the turkey (I have a 20+ lb bird), ranging from 4.5 hours to 6 hours. I've also seen reports to cook the thick part of the breast to 155 degrees and others that say to cook it to 165 degrees.

Any suggestions on cooking time in a 325 degree oven? Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

ok - the bird is on! I put no water in the pan and boy does it heat up fast without water. Before I knew it I was approaching 450 degrees, so I closed some vents. Put a pan under it for the drippings, and used apple wood for smoke. Really looking forward to this. And here's some pics
e0bef1f8.jpg

a79b1453.jpg

My smoker is stuck around 265. All vents are wide open and no water in the water pan. Any suggestions to get it up to 325?

Ok things are back to norm. I think the wind was cooling down the temp. I turned the top so the wind wasn't blowing down the vent and it spiked up to 350, now it's back to around 315 and holding steady. 3 hours 15 minutes in and the temp on the breast is 161 and clibming.

same thing happened to me with the wind. Turned the hood, set up a piece of plywood as a wind block, and had to prop open the door a little, but holding temp fine. 2 hours and 45 minutes - breast at 154

Back