An Excellent Coffee Maker

So it has finally arrived! I patiently set it up, and cleaned it, running two pots of water thru it. It seems to chug away like a champ. I snapped a few pics to include. My first impressions are good, with the exception of two things. One, the black plastic parts are very thin, and the base plate that sits under the carafe just sits there, and separates quite easily. Second, there is a little valve on the brew basket that allows you to slow or stop the brewing, depending on your needs. But the icons printed on the basket don't line up at all with the tab, which left me guessing.

But the only really important part is the coffee itself. I ordered some different varieties of George Howell's Terroir Coffee, and the first pot I brewed was the highest rated on his site.
It truly is unlike any coffee I have ever had. Very delicious, and full of all sorts of subtle nuances I wasn't expecting. The coffee finished in exactly six and a half minutes, starting with Brita water from the fridge.

Now I have a whole pot to enjoy.
icon_smile.gif

DSCF1436.jpg

I thought I'd add, as it cools slightly, it gets even better. The aftertaste is amazing. Chocolate, toffee, blackberry, its all kinda there in a subtle way. I'm not a complete coffee snob, but the fact that this makes such a premium cup of joe, as quickly as it does, is a welcome addition to my kitchen.

I'm actually looking forward to using a more affordable coffee bean, and seeing what I get. I certainly don't plan on brewing coffee that costs $20 or more a pound each time I want some joe.

So I am becoming aware of a little downside. I started drinking the coffee at 11:30 this morning. It's now past 8, and I'm still ripped on caffeine. I knew I wasn't going to drink any late at night, but I figured I would be safe, being done at noon.

The jitters are killing me. Damn...

Yeah, I'm running on a late cafe Cubano...

Great info here, Tom. I am looking forward to the Terroir and the Technivorm. Haven't ordered yet but soon I hope. Ranch needs are getting in the way at the moment.

The coffee kick literally grew and grew thru out the day. I have taken a benydryll, and a over the counter sleeping pill, and I'm barely any different. And I gotta be up tomorrow at 5:30.

From now on, I will only brew a half a pot. I certainly don't regret getting it, just need to be careful about the caffeine intake. I like coffee strong too.

hehe, yeah I know all about over-caffeination. i taste a couple hundred cups a day, every day for the past 20 years, so i stop drinking coffee by 9 am or so, and stop all caffeine intake by 3 pm, or i just don't sleep.

tom, i'm sorry, i should have mentioned those plastic issues you raise. that little plate on the bottom is just weird, isn't it? it's not such an issue for us as we can just slide ours a little bit on the counter; if you ever really move the techni then it is a pain to line up again.

Yeah, I don't get that about the plastic base thingy.

And, yes, I didn't sleep at all last night. Nearly fully alert all night. No more full pots for me. I usually get the caffeine perk with 2 strong cups back to back. But I can drink all the soda in the world and not feel it.

I am looking forward to trying the other coffees, but at the price I paid, I'd rather finish one before tearing into the other.

I made a little less than half a pot, which made a full 20 oz coffee to go, with about a small 6 oz portion to drink this am, right after it brewed.

Of course the other thing to keep in mind is this specific bean is only lightly roasted, so the pyrolysis hasn't had a chance to burn off the caffeine. It's definitely perky.

Originally posted by Richard Batey:

If you want a coffee maker for the road like a very poor man's Clover, check out the AeroPress.

Richard

Just wanted to chime in on this. Based on the fact that Kevin and Ron endorsed this thing, I checked it out and bought one to replace the one cup drip maker I have in my office. It makes the best coffee that I've ever done! Since I'm the only coffee drinker at home, and a two cup per day guy at that, I'm thinking about buying a second one to replace the drip machine at home.

I got the Clement Design (the round looking one) a couple of years ago, and been having really good coffee since. One complaint I have is with the plastic parts. One of the tabs that holds the coffee cone broke on mine, and I'm not sure it is replaceable (it is a part of the large middle plastic piece). Anyone know if there are replacement parts?

I went ahead and picked up a Aeropress while I was down here in LA with the family for the holiday. I am very, very pleased with the results. I was planning on leaving it here so I can make decent coffee when visiting, but now I am thinking of taking it home.

Back