An accessory question

JimH TX

TVWBB Pro
Would you buy, at a reasonable price, stainless steel grates for your WSM or Kettle? I would but they are not available for every model, as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason I ask this is that I'm going to take a class on mig/tig welding and will make grates for my WSM. I am looking into getting stainless steel bar to make grates. I have a neighbor who is into metal art who can teach me how to heat metal to form stainless in a circle, the rest is just welding bars across the circle. I'm thinking in the 3/8 range for a good sear. I'm not looking to become a millionaire but like you would prefer grates that don't need to be replaced. Yes, there will be a learning curve. I'll be working at cost initially but will eventually add a little for my time. 304 stainless, I'd love to to do cast iron but that is beyond my means. I'm the kind of person that needs a hobby, I've been under the weather for two years and my hobby bug has been bugging me. I'm looking at taking the mig/tig class in July, I already know how to arc weld so it's a matter of learning how the different process works. When I worked for a general contractor I got tired of dragging a popcorn welder around the job site so I welded a frame around it to make things easier. The steel erector offered me a job on the spot. I appreciated the offer but it was 1982 and the bottom dropped out of the construction business.

Hi, Jim. Yes! I would love a SS thick bar grate. I have contacted rcplanebuyer- the guy in Norcal that makes ss gasser grates and flavorizers- and he will not make the kettle grates. I'm looking forward to the product.

I would also say YES! As long as you design them not to constrict the airflow on the Weber Kettle, they should be great! Heck, if you have a set to sell let me know....I love me some BBQ gadgets!

I am a habitual hobby freak. I will be taking a class on welding stainless steel in July. I want ss grates for my performer and WSM. I'm tired of replacing grates that get rusted. Ss grates could be put in an oven on the clean setting when they get too cruddy. 304 seems to be the way to go and I have experience with stick welding but need to get a class on ss welding. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to woodworking so I expect that if I follow through with this I would not offer a grate that does not meet my personal standards with free replacement should there be a problem. I'm already sourcing the ss rod, I prefer something like quarter inch but I am open to suggestions. It's something that I would do for the satisfaction of knowing that other people get to better enjoy their Weber. My motive is really to learn how to work ss so I can fix up a ss Cajun cooker for my nephew. While I can get replacement grates, the unique system that holds the water bowl is rusted badly. I want to give it to him but I want it to last a lifetime. I don't have kids so he's my surrogate child. I won't be looking to get rich but just cost of material and a little for time. I enjoy the process of making things and improving my skills. Woodworking I started with a Sears trim hammer, saw and back saw. My first piece was a bookstand that was 4 pieces of wood cut, nailed, stained and varnished. The only good thing I can say that it was squared. My last piece was a stand made for my parent's tv. I built it to match the furniture around it. The only thing I didn't do was make the bun feet and stain/finish it. I suck at varnish and prefer a wipe on Shaker finish. In fact, I prefer Shaker style designs but that's another discussion.

Guess what I'm saying is that if I can't do it right I just won't do it. Most of this stuff is done by cnc or computer controlled machines. I would put up with slightly substandard work for myself, as I understand the concerns. When it comes to you, WSM or Kettle owners, you deserve the best work regardless of the price. I pride myself on the work. If I can't get it done then I haveba mig welder for the occasional welding job.

OK, been Sick so doc gave me meds for pain that made me a little wordy and weepy. They didn't do much for the pain so I stopped taking them. Long story short, I will offer ss grills for the Kettle and WSM at basically cost. I like to make things but I won't offer them if I cannot do them right. I can weld, just need to learn mig/tig welding so I can do ss welding. Even if it's only two or three orders, I'll be happy to do it. I've been wanting to learn so I'm looking forward to the class and playing with my new equipment.

Good Lord, I've over "talked" this, just know that this is an iron clad deal. I've been wanting to do this for years and I finally have a real reason to do it.

Back