ammount of smoke when lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Santiago

(newbie alert!)

Ok, first time charcoal griller here. I have a question about when lighting the coals. I lit a full chimney of K-Competition with paraffin cubes. The amount of smoke for 5-10 mins while they lit seemed a little insane. Putting aside all other pros and cons, can anyone tell me if I would get less startup smoke from regular K or even less from lump?

Thanks!

Eddie, welcome to the forum. Since that was your 1st experience lighting coals, I would suspect that you didn't get any more smoke than anyone else. It probably was just that you weren't used to seeing so much. Specifically I don't use parafin or briquets, rather use lump and a bit of news paper. I get smoke for the 1st few minutes, but no more or less that I have for all these years. Never had the fire dept come by.

Mark

All charcoal smokes when you light it, but some smokes more than others. I think the smokiest charcoal was some Namibian Intruder Bush charcoal which I tried once. Some cheap lighter cubes also give off a lot of black smoke. Weber cuber give off very little smoke and odour, so I prefer to use them.

-Mark.

Mark,
When I read "Namibian Intruder Bush charcoal" I started laughing thinking it was meant as a joke.

Then I Googled it.
Jokes on me
icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Mark,
When I read "Namibian Intruder Bush charcoal" I started laughing thinking it was meant as a joke.

Then I Googled it.

I thought that it had something to do with our beloved pres Geo.
Jokes on me
icon_redface.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds pretty normal to me too

If you are used to using a gas grill... Try putting the chimney on your side burner. You will get less smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back