Alternative to the ET-73 thermometer

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am looking fir an easy to use, trouble free thermometer for my 80 yo father. I just bought him a WSM and he is really enjoying it. I have the ET-73 and after several replacements it is now working. My father is out of state so I need to get him something that he can use right out of the box and not get frustrated with the problems that seem to be associated with the newer ET-73's that are on the market. I would like a remote receiver feature as he has Parkinson's and has difficulty walking.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As I also have had some trouble with the unit you are talking about. I think they have it under raps. They replaced my unit once and works great now. I even ordered one as a gift a few weeks back for a friend and that unit works well from the git go.
It is like everything else. Im sure if you look hard enough you can find trouble with every product out there to some degree. I am happy with the ET-73 and would get another if needed.

Tom, there is a competeing product called the NuTemp-701. Here is a link to the product. It is more expensive than the ET-73 but I've heard it works better(w/out the headaches)and you can add 3 (TX)units to the RX. Take a look and make up your own mind if the price is worth the product.

Also, do a search on the Nu-Temp at this site. There ha ve been some discussions on it but I'm not sure how extensive they got!

why not consider spending the roughly $40 for a maverick et-73 and have it sent to you and make sure its working for him rather than spend the additional $60 for the NU-Temp?

I have had the et0-73 since it first came out and had it go bad on me after about 7 months. They replaced it and I picked up a second one and have had no problem since.

$60 buys some nice meat or BBQ toys

I was just giving Tom W. an option as he requested. I'm not advising him on any product to buy. I also have an ET-73 and I am happy with its performance!

Tom,
If you have an ET-73 that you know is working, give him that one and get a new one for yourself.
icon_smile.gif
That way, if you do have any problems, YOU can handle the replacement worries.

I've had mine over a year now, had one minor problem that I coulda lived with, and exchanged it for free no problemo due to the superior CS at Maverick.

Why not order the new one for yourself so you can test it, and send Dad your unit with the new probes in the new box so he isn't getting a setup that is.....ummmm......yucky from pig grease and smoke.

jeff

If it was my dad i'd buy him the GURU.
icon_wink.gif
JMO. I have the NU-701 with (2)TX units absolutely love it.
icon_biggrin.gif
Never a headache, no sending it back till i get one that works.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Also have a Guru and love that too
icon_razz.gif
Bryan

Greg, LOL i would have lots O $$$$ if i would stop buying all these toys for the WSM.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I just look back at all that my parents have for me over the years and say he would deserve the Guru.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Oh bryan you and your toys....but thanks tom for bringing this up cuz i also just bougth an ET-72 for my parents and after reading all about it i realy didnt even want to open it cuz.. who knows.. i was lookign around for another similar one.......regarding the price of the nu temp i just saw one on ebay for $40 which is lower than the ET73

so i might just take brayns advise......hey bryan do you work for Nu temp...heheeh....alright take care guys

(ps i just came back from santa barbara and hurst castle.....gotta love that place.. take care guys and good to be back)

i just checked ebay again and they have a few of these up....type in bbq thermometer and nu temp...should give you diff results...its up on a buy it now for 49 bux plus 5 for shippin thats pretty much the same price as the et73..exept you dont get two probs as with the 73 .. but then again you dont get the hassles.....neways.. looks like bryan ill be gettin another bbq toy as well....hey i could have a worse brand new hobby?!?

and ill prob get one for my mom too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back