Almost a year with my electric smoker

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I did some research before buying a smoker for my hunting camp and though a few liked them, most did not. It has been almost a year so I thought I would share my perspective on it, though admittedly, somewhat limited since I have never used a WSM. Anyway, I picked the electric b/c I am not looking as much for the "art and love" of smoking at hunting camp, though I do thoroughly enjoy it. What i needed was something that was closer to "set it and forget it" type smoking, at least for camp b/c i am out hunting or otherwise not around to tend the smoker.

The bottom line is, I have really enjoyed this unit. It is very easy to use and has produced some terrific, melt in your mouth ribs and butt. The smoke wood on the electric coil produces plenty of smoke and a great smoke ring on the meat. The temps are not particularly controllable, so if you are running behind, you can't bump the temps up, so i start early enough and use the cooler with towels.

anyway, perhaps not the best choice for a lot of people, but for the hunting camp with the desire for simplicity with great results, it's hard to beat. I would definately buy another one.

Well Davidd, its good that you found a solution to YOUR unique requirements.

Many of us love the fact that the WSM is "set it and forget it" but I don't think I would want to leave it smoking in the woods without someone nearby.

If you are happy .......
icon_razz.gif

David,

My brother done the same thing for his place at the lake against my advice, he bought a brinkman electric smoker and I must say it doesn't compare to the WSM at all but for that purpose it does OK. Like your hunting, we are usually gone out on the water all day and just load up the smoker in the morning and it goes all day fine by itself. If I was around I would not use it just because I like the "fun" of cooking on the WSM.

Randy

I'm with you, i enjoy the art of grilling an smoking, but I have been surprisingly pleased with this unit. It is a brinkman electric from Lowes, $59. I have a weber performer and a genesis gold and the gas does not compare to the charcoal, so i can apprec the improvement that must exist with the WSM, but i can tell you this, the camp members have never had better bar b que. I have followed much of your advice with regard to smoke wood, internal temps, seasoning, cooler storage, etc. and it is awesome que. Falling off the bone in most cases.

Back