All you can eat BBQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Going back to work today I decided to stop by a BBQ joint I was at once before. What to my wondering eyes did appear...all you can eat Q for $16. Three heaping plates later these observations, even though Ive only been smoking for a few months....
1. Im so full Im in pain.
2. The pulled pork was shoulder and was much dryer than butt. I use butt and personally I think mine is much better.
3. They only used hickory for smoke. This left a really strong smoke flavor so much so it over powered the meat. I usually go 1 part hickory 2 parts cherry. More mellow.
4. They use gas powered smokers...I may just be imagining it but I swear I can taste the gas...kind of like a gas grill.
5. The ribs were cooked perfect...tug to fall off the bone, bb's but again too much smoke.
6. BBQ has to be a matter of taste...this stuff was good but still think mine is a bit better.
7. How am I going to go home in less than two hours and eat the pork chops and mashed potatoes that my wife is making???

I love this hobby...I just need bigger pants...
icon_biggrin.gif

I had a similar situation, except it was free BBQ

For our company's president's birthday they had a local BBQ joint (in woodenville, name begins with an A) cater lunch. I considered catering it but my work schedule wouldn't allow the day or 2 off required.

It was very impressive as they pulled up pulling a huge smoker belching out tons of hickory smoke.

My impressions?

First and foremost they commited an unforgivable sin of running out of meat. With cheap cuts like chicken and ribs there's no excuse...most people had no shot at seconds, and a few straglers didn't get firsts.

As far as flavor, the only flavor I could detect was an insanely strong smoke flavor, it was so strong it had a chemical quality to it, and it completely overpowered any other flavor's chance.

The consistency was good, cooked about right, the sauce was quite good, the beans were ok and the coleslaw was just plain strange (lots of black pepper?).

I told our Admin, who had set this up, that I'll be doing the next one.

PS - Jim and Konrad, I gave our Admin your information, but she went with the other due to price. She learned her leason, she was steaming when they ran out of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As far as flavor, the only flavor I could detect was an insanely strong smoke flavor, it was so strong it had a chemical quality to it, and it completely overpowered any other flavor's chance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh, the downside of hickory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back