Ageing brisket

Douglas Lance

I am planning on cooking 3 briskets on the night of 11/10 if I buy them on Friday 11/3 and keep them refrigerated until the 10th do you all think they will keep ok?
Thanks
Doug

I'm starting to feel that I must be lucky that my brisket sources include a sell- or freeze-by date on my briskets. The stuff I buy, however, normally has dating 10-14 days out from date of purchase. See if you can corner the meat market manager to give you some peace of mind about what's on display in his meat case that day.

Doug L. - I read somewhere that aging briskets in the cryovac for several weeks (I think 3 weeks was the target) is a strategy used by some competition cooks to improve the meat. I've got a brisket sitting in my fridge right now and I might not use it for another couple of weeks.

Jim

Doug
The date you need to know is the packing date on the box that the briskets came from. You have 6 weeks from that date.
Jim

True. The pack date, by law applied to the cases by the processor when the meat is cut and cryo'd, is the only legal date. For that you have to see the cases the meat came in or trust your seller to tell you correctly. Unless you're talking about some dairy products and virtually all infant formulas, sell-by dates can be arbitrary as they are determined by the store or chain with (or without) any criteria they wish. They are free to change them and many do if the meat looks good when it nears the sell-by. That, or the meat is ground and re-packaged with a new sell-by.

You can ask the meat manager if the store has any hard-and-fast criteria for determining sell-bys and see what s/he says. But then, as there are no legal standards or requirements, you have to decide if you trust what you're told.

It would be cheaper to buy a whole case and you'll get the packing date for sure. If you have a chest freezer, Briskets deep freeze just fine. The problem is the single Brisket may be 30 days or older when you get it. I've seen 30 to 45 day old cases waiting to be purchased.

Back