After Effects of Fish

Sam Un

Hi All,

A buddy just gave me some albacore. My question is if you smoke fish will a fishy smell linger in the WSM?

If the smell does linger any ideas how I can get rid of it?

I cook a tonne of albacore and have never had a lingering smell. I do use the WSM a lot though so possibly everything else just overwhelms. Not sure. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Clark

No worries at all. Albacore away.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Off topic but how do you prepare your fish? I have some yellow fin tuna and some yellow tail I need to grill up soon.

Nope, it'll taste like tuna, for better or worse.....

Now for cooking styles. Do you have the tuna in filets or is it cut into steaks? Any skin on? Is the blood line taken out? Just a few basics first.....

I brine my tuna if I smoke it. Always in a flavored brine of some sort.

If I am searing a loin and leaving it rare in the middle, I don't usually bother with brining. I just put a nice spice rub on. Then cut into 1/2 inch slices and drizzle with a sauce.

Clark

Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
Nope, it'll taste like tuna, for better or worse.....

Now for cooking styles. Do you have the tuna in filets or is it cut into steaks? Any skin on? Is the blood line taken out? Just a few basics first.....

I brine my tuna if I smoke it. Always in a flavored brine of some sort.

If I am searing a loin and leaving it rare in the middle, I don't usually bother with brining. I just put a nice spice rub on. Then cut into 1/2 inch slices and drizzle with a sauce.

Clark

The tuna I have is half a filet, no skin. I don't like eating rare fish if I'm the one preparing it.

Back