Advice please - OTG vs Performer

Mike Tee

TVWBB Fan
Hey,

So I currently have a 2 year old performer with gas assist. Space in my grilling area is limited, so I've taken out the charcoal storage, and now the performer table is stacked on top of the adjacent Silver B table. It looks a little crazy, but works, as I have 1 large prep area between the two bbqs. The performer table is a few inches away from the Silver B, so I'm not worried about melting it. (FYI - The performer table is higher than the gasser table, so it fits fine)

Here's my question - to gain back some space, and look slightly less crazy, is it worth picking up a used OTG and selling the performer (which is registered with Weber)?
How does a charcoal chimney perform relative to the gas starter? Is it slower? It certainly seems less convenient. I've never used one.

I can post a picture later, but I will be a few minutes away from a charming blue OTG listed on craigslist later today, so need input sooner!

MT

The Weber chimney is wonderful, I set it right over the gas assist flame on my Performer. It gets the load lit more quickly and thoroughly than without the chimney.
Unless you figure a way to move things around to get more space, it may make sense to sell the Performer and get a OTG or Master Touch in your particular case. You could get enough for the Performer to buy a new OTG or MT. I would go with the Master Touch.

I dont know how bad your space issues are but i would HATE to give up my performer. The Table, Lid Bale and ESPECIALLY the gas assist are such huge benefits that i have come to rely on. I have both ( i use my OTG for high heat pizza ) and cooking on the Performer is definitely easier.

If you sell the Performer, trust me, you'll miss the gas assist. Try lighting the Performer with the chimney and no gas assist a few times. That should help answer your question. Good luck with your decision.

Bill

I guess I'll continue with the wonky setup. Who knows, maybe I'll come in to money and get a bigger house. Thanks for the feedback!

Back