Advice On Party Planning

Trevor Blohm

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I am going to have a 2nd of July bbq at my house, and I was hoping to get your advice on the menu. I am expecting 14 adults and 4 childeren under 5.

I am thinking of:

Pulled pork (planning 1 pound raw shoulder per adult)
Baby backs (planning about 1/3 of a rack per adult.
Cowboy beans (have no idea how much to make)
Cole slaw (ditto)
Sauces: Mustard sauce, Stubb's Original and Alabama white (optional)
Buns,
hot dogs for the yard apes.
ABTs (If everything goes well and I am on schedule).

I have done two 7# pork shoulders before, no problem. I will take them off, and then do the baby backs (I think about a 3-1-1 on the WSM, but I will also do some dry rubs on my gasser) while the shouders are resting.

I am going to ask the guests to bring their own bottles, and either an appetizer or a dessert.

What do you think? I have never cooked for this many people before, and I am kind of anxious. I wanted to mix brisket in, but I think it is just too much work. Corn on the cob seemed just too messy, and interefered with the dry rub ribs on the gasser.

I will try to make the beans the day before, and maybe the cole slaw. Sauces will be done a few days before. Trying to get the pre-party work out of the way.

Trevor

Hi,Trevor.

Your menu looks good.

14 lbs of but will be more than you need but what the hay, if you're cooking one you might as well cook two. You might want to do the pork even earlier and reheat on party day to ease up on your schedule. You could do the beans under the butts if you wish. Rib quantity looks good.

For beans: 1 lb dry beans = 6 cups cooked and drained, more if more ingredients/liquids are included. I'd do 2 lbs.

Coleslaw: A 2 lb head of cabbage = about 12 cups slaw--plenty. You can do slaw up to two days ahead of time. If you salt-wilt the cabbage first it will keep better (not get watery) if done in advance. To do that: Shred your cabbage, put it in a colander in the sink, and toss it with 2 teaspoons of table salt. Allow it to sit 3 or 4 hours. Rinse the cabbage with cold water, tossing it with your hands; allow it to drain. Press the cabbage to force out water--but don't mash it. Dry with paper towels, then make up your slaw.

Corn-on-the-cob is not a bad idea. You don't have to grill it. You could roast it in the oven or just steam/boil it. You can cut the ears in half (before serving if you roast it, before cooking if you steam or boil it); that makes it more manageable on a plate. With good butter and maybe some chipotle-lemon mayo on the side, it would make a nice addition to your menu.

A plate of sliced ripe tomatoes or a bowl of ripe cherry or grape tomatoes would add color to your spread and require practically no work. Just a thought.

I'll be in the Bahamas so I'll miss the 4th celebrations here, but I'm sure I'll find a way to celebrate regardless.
icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Baby backs (planning about 1/3 of a rack per adult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Never made ribs before? Hehe j/k.

Sounds like an awesome menu. I agree with Kevin, do the butts a day earlier. I myself am doing a party on the 3rd(see my "Big Cook" post for details).

Rath *Can't wait for his butt to thaw*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morgan Sziraki:
Another trick to stop the coleslaw from getting soggy is to throw in a pack or two of crumbled ramen noodles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Morg,
"Each to his own, said the woman as she kissed the cow."
Ramen noodles in coleslaw sounds to me like our old family secret recipe for cooking a 'possum:

Place 1 possum in a large pot,
Cover with peeled sweet potatoes,
Cook till 'possum falls off the bone,
Discard 'possum and enjoy sweet potatoes!
icon_biggrin.gif

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You’ve ever siphoned prune juice out of an old sleeping woman’s jaw in order to feed your starving coondog puppies.

Back