Advice needed about chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Rockwood

TVWBB Fan
After reading some online posts, I got a-hankering for trying a chuck roast. " t'aint never done one of them before". I went into my local grocery store and all they had were "underblade chuck steaks". They appeared to be what I've seen pictures of, only sliced. So, I'm thinking the difference between a roast and a steak is that a roast is not sliced, I'm figuring if I bought some of these steaks and stacked them, I'd have a roast, kinda, sorta...

I was planning to smoke my "roast" lo-n-slo, Minion, overnight smoke, apple/mesquite mix, 4hr marinade in Italian dressing, dusted with rub when it goes on.

I've read where chuck, being a similar cut to the Boston Butt only a different animal, that 1.5-2hrs/lb should suffice. Seeing as how my "roast" is 4 stacked steaks totalling 7.5lbs, that my done time would be closer to 1.5/lb. and pulling it off at internal of 190-200. I'm thinking of pulled beef.

So - am I close on timing? Am I way off? I'd hate to wake up in the morning to "chuck jerky".

OK, I'll take a stab at this.

Random thoughts: It's an unusual proposition, being a stack of sliced meat rather than a whole chunk. It's not as big as a chuck roll. Pulling it-- as in shredding it-- when it is done will be odd, since it's already sliced across the grain at a rather short interval. It's chuck roast rather than brisket, so I'm thinking not as tough to start with. I don't see it being an all-nighter. I think taking it to 190-200 will end up being pot roast-like, which, when all is said and done, might actually be what you're after, texture-wise.

Dunno... I would start early and monitor it the entire way-- you may just end up with a stack of dried out cheap steak-like substances if you sleep through this one.

Well... I'll know not to try to treat a sliced roast as as roast.

As the meet cooked up, it "slumped" off the bones and became fairly dried out. Next time, I'll be sure to get a real roast.

However, I think I may have discovered a sure-fire way to make a bunch of "burnt ends". ~smile~

Live and learn.

I've done chuck blade roasts before on my kettle. I cooked it for 7 hours. Although at the time I did'nt have an accurate way of measuring the temps. I do now. That one was over done. It was 3lbs and about 2" thick cutt of meat. If I would have cooked low and slow like I know how to do now on my kettle it would have been much better. But it still shredded like like pot roast when i pulled it off. But i cooked it so long at to high of a heat that the bark over took to much of the meat.

I've got quit a few left in the freezer I'll try again yet.

When I do my large chuck rolls I am foiling about at 165 and mopping. This make the bark usable and wonderful instead of having to cut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back