Adjustments between 18 & 22 in cooking topics

Rich F

Hi All....The cooking topics section states that they assume the use of the 18 vs 22. What kind of adjustments must be made?......Thanks Rich F

I recently got a 22......I've followed a couple of the recipes to a T (for example Mr. Brown's butt recipe) and it worked pretty much to plan. I had no trouble getting the cooker to stick in the "smoke" range and the results were to die for. I imagine it uses more fuel because of the size; however, a couple of the folks that have both have commented that the difference isn't a deal breaker.

Many of the topics were written before the 22" WSM came out so were based on the smaller version. I think this was added to clarify things when the 22" model was released.

I haven't compared the two models yet but two factors that could make a difference would be different fuel requirements to reach/keep a given temp and differences in temps between the two grates and the dome across the two models.

Rich, I can give you some quick pointers to get you going. First don't be super concerned with temps, the meat will be taste good at 225 and taste good at 280 the smoker will tend to be a little hot until it seasons. The temp most affects cooking time which is different for every piece of meat anyway to some degree. Cook BBQ until it is done not to a cooking chart.

I seen in one of your other posts, you are cooking for the Super Bowl. try to fire up a small cook this weekend to feel out your pit, so you won't be stressed come Super Bowl time. Try one of the chicken or baby back recipe's on the main site. you will find WSM's are pretty user friendly, and you will get the hang of it pretty quick.

Start with Kinsford, and leave lump for when you have a few smokes under your belt. It is very consistent and will not give you any surprises. Fill the ring with unlit coals (full bag)and about 3 chunks +/- of smoke wood ( I like 6) , you can always shut your vents (top and bottom) when you are done cooking and save the unburnt coals. I live in New Hampshire as well and during winter you have to start with more lit coals than in the summer. I use about 20 lit coals in summer to a full Weber chimney on the zero degree days.

Start with all vents open, when the pit gets to 200, throw the meat on. When the temp climbs back to around 220 close the bottom vents to about 1/4 (winter). I usually end up closing 2 of the 3 bottom vents completely to maintain temps around 225. The top vent should always be open. Remember air makes the fire hotter, this means opening vents or the side door.

Follow the time guide lines to get you close, but read up on when Q is done so you pull it at the right time. You can always keep Q warm or warm it up, but it is alot harder to speed up the process if it isn't ready when your guests arrive.

Take your time and enjoy the experience.

Thanks Jamie for the tips....This is all new to me but with the help of you and everyone on this site I feel confident that my first cook should go smoothly...

Welcome to the group Rich!!!

As one who has both the 18 and a 22 I can tell you that there really isn't alot different other than you will consume more fuel (heating a larger area) in the 22 and you have a larger capacity. Other than that its pretty much "Ceteris Paribus". (latin for all other things being equal or held constant).

good luck with your first cook! Jamie is giving you good advice above to try and get one in before your superbowl cook if you can!!

Back