Adjusting the sauce recipe

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I have a fairly spicy ketchup and vinegar based sauce that I make and it is very well liked by freinds and family, but lately I've been wanting some sweetness to it for use with pork, particualarly bbq. I'm leaning toward honey and even had one somewhat off the wall thought of adding some of the syrup from a can of peaches or pineapples for a real flavor twist. I'm not asking anyone for their secrets, but I was wondering if anyone out there had a particular preference for a sweetening ingredient to a sauce that they'd be willing to share as I plan my next batch of sauce.

Thanks

John

pineapple is a favorite bbq flavoring of mine. It works wonderfully in sauces, marinades, etc. If you use in a marinade, just boil fresh pineapple juice first. If using from can, no need to.

Peach could also be good to, in my opinion.

I'm with Mr Clyde.

Nearly every Q sauce I make contains a fruit component, sometimes two. Fruit just works to well with meat and smoke for me to forgo it. Pineapple is a favorite for a sauce for any smoked meat, cherry for beef or turkey or duck, peach, nectarine or mango for pork or chicken. Secondary fruits are usually tamarind (with the pineapple or mango) or pomegranate (with the stone fruits).

I usually use both juice and fruit. If you want to try pineapple and the fresh ones aren't ripe (they are often picked too early), grab a can of pineapple 'tidbits' packed in pineapple juice. Chuck the whole thing in and simmer together with your other ingredients for a few minutes. Puree with a hand blender or counter blender till very smooth. Strain into a bowl, adjust seasoning and serve.

Back