Adding thermometer to 22 1/2 inch kettle?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a 6 year old weber 22 1/2 inch kettle that sold at home depot for $229. It looks kinda like the performer but does not have the LP or charcoal storage container. Anyway, it did not come with a thermometer in the lid as most of them do today. Do you know if i can add the thermo in a safe and practical way? It seems fairly easy though i am not sure where to install it. Right now, i stick the thermo in one of the vent holes in the lid, which works ok other than it falls out when i move the lid and it is hot to touch.

pls advise if anyone has advice on this. Also, if you have a thermo to recommend, that is good too.

Sounds like you have a Platinum which is one of the ones I have. I use this one from BBQ Guru because it will stay in the lid vent but easily pull out for cleaning or to stick in another cooker's lid. I'm not big on permanent therms because they are more of a pain to clean and calibrate. Many people install them though the same way as Chris details. Tel-Tru is a good brand for this.

I designed a similar one as the one in the photo by using a wine bottle cork and it worked pretty good, though it does completely seal one vent hole.

Don't worry about sealing one vent hole. I also have the same one as Kevin, and have never had any problems running with one vent exhaust closed.

Davidd,

I also have the same one as Kevin. I also have the older Platinum like you do. A word of caution on the older Platinum, don't lift the table at the end since there is very little support at that end. The frame ends about a foot before that area. I've seen numerous Platinums with half a table after it broke off. The new Platinums have frames that go to the end of the table so Weber fixed that problem.

The great thing about the BBQ Guru therm is I can pull it out of the WSM and into the kettle. It saves $$ vs. having separate therms. Also, I've never had a problem with air circulation by blocking one vent hole.

I also have the "One Touch Platinum", I went ahead and but a hole in the lid and mounted a 3" dial, 2 1/2" probe, industrial thermometer (similar to a Tel-Tru). I followed Chris' directions here and am completly pleased with the results. As for removing for cleaning and calibration (which my wife thinks I do far to often) the conduit nut is very easy to remove and replace. I would not hesitate to do it again. My only other word of advice is to be sure that it dosen't interfere with how you grab the handle and you place the lid in the holder.

I use a Maverick ET-73 and put the one of the probes thru a wine cork and put it on the grate near the meat - tells me the temp that the meat is seeing, not the temp of the gases exiting the cooker.

Same technique will work with any remote thermo in any grill (don't do it for grilling - grate temp exceeds the temp that the probe can take, about 400F)

Back