Adding oil to injection liquid - any noticeable benefit?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
If I added a little vegetable oil to an oil-less brisket injection, would it really help keep the meat moister or is it a waste of oil?

Rita

OK. My second overnight brisket flat.

Time was important tonight, so I went ahead and made some adjustments to the brisket flat injection liquid and will let you know how it turned out on a brisket that I was going to cook last weekend but wound up "aging" for a week. Don't ask: it smells wonderfully of aged beef, not bad beef. (Don't worry...I age my standing rib roasts for 2 weeks and everyone is alive to tell about them with no side effects.)

Tonight's brisket flat is sitting in the refrigerator for about 4 hours before I start my cook....if I can stay awake.

Good news: The kitchen rug cleaners said that they could get all the "jet squirts" that came out of the meat from other injection sites out of the rugs. The walls will come clean with only a light to moderate hosing. I don't really mind the spots on my ceiling. I think they add character to my kitchen.

Love,
Rita

Shameless bumping of ones posts..... how horrible
icon_smile.gif

Keep me posted on your results. Sounds like an interesting topic that I have yet to consider.

Shameless, maybe…desperate, Yes!

I think that I’m not meant to BBq this (old) brisket. I’ve been trying for a week and here it is, amost 1 AM and instead of having a nice session going with my WSM, I’ve spent the last 1 1/2 hours trying to get poor Weber (our golden) calmed down and to quit hyperventilating (Weber, not me) after the worst localized thunder storm I’ve seen in 40 years. And the TV, TiVo, and 2 vcr/dvd’s are fried in spite of having a good ground on the fuse box. Amazingly, we still have power -- it hasn't gone off since we invested in a generator - wouldn't ya know it!

The Kingsford has been loaded for several hours (and is probably as damp as it can get). I even checked the radar a couple of hours before all this began and there was NOTHING on it except a few localized light showers. I think it formed right over the house.

In spite of all this, I’m going to start applying the rub and lighting the Kingsford. Will report in tomorrow about the injection…..yawn….maybe an earthquake will wake me up in time to take the meat off and rest it. Thank goodness no electricity will be involved.

Rita

MY SECOND BRISKET -- A VERY SHORT COOK!

Couldn’t cook a 6.4-pound brisket flat as planned, so aged it for 7 or 8 days uncovered in fridge. Surface looked darkened and quite dry. Concerned that meat would be dry because of aging process so decided to inject:

DR. BBQ’S BIG COW BEEF INJECTION

2 cups beef broth (Knorr bouillon beef cubes)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (used 1/4 tsp)
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
I ADDED:
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (smooth type)
1/4 cup canola oil

I really liked the flavor of the injection with the additions. I used a stick blender for a light emulsion, injected, and refrigerated the meat about 4 hours while the aforementioned mega-thunderstorm passed over.

THE PLAN: 11- to 12 1/2-hour cook at 215-225°F, wrap, 4-hour rest in a 160°F oven.

REALITY: Couldn’t keep temperatures down, even with all bottom vents closed.
At 284°F, I cut the lid vent back 50%; then temperatures very slowly dropped.

SUSPECT AN AIR LEAK, but where???.
Tried to check with flashlight if center section was seated correctly and to check vents. Couldn’t see well -- too shadowy, so I reassembled the 3 sections to make sure they fit correctly.

At 5 3/4 hours WSM was down to 264°F and the meat was 185-188°F. Probes pulled out with a little resistance.
Wrapped, rested in a 160°F oven for 3 1/2 hours.

SURPRISE! I never expected to save the meat. But it sliced beautifully and was shiny-moist with great flavor, even better than my first brisket. How’s that for dumb luck???

P.S. Now that it’s daylight, I see that a lower vent is bent and very loose.

Rita,
Glad it turned out okay. Your saga just shows how flexible the WSM is - you can err a lot of ways and it still turns out okay.

How is Weber this am?

Ray

Thanks, Ray, for being so thoughtful. We haven't had a chance to work on the black Weber's vent yet. Hope it won't be a problem.

Golden Weber is back to his usual sappy self, thank goodness. He was one worried dude during the storm, unusual for him, but it was a hum-dinger.

I don't know if it was the oil in the injection that saved my brisket or what. Now I'll be afraid to cook the next one without the injection.
icon_confused.gif

Rita

Back