Adding a third cooking grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn J

TVWBB Fan
Art,

I started a new thread since continuing the other one seemed to me like free advertising for another, less versatile, cooker.

This mod was recommended on this site a while back and is a little less messy if accomplished when assembling the WSM before the inaugural smoke. BTW thanks Chris, for this wonderful site.

Neways, remove the four straps that hold the grills and water pan. Get 4-16p nails (or one size smaller) and cut them about 3/4 inch from the flat head of the nail. Drill hole the same size as nail (you them to fit as tight as possible) throught center of the strap half way between the top and bottom grill. Push shortened nail through so head is on the back side of the strap and peg protrudes through the hole towards the center of the smoker. Replace the straps and now you have an third place to set a rack. I bought a Weber 22.5 inch charcoal grate from the hardware store and added handles using copper wires.

You want to do a fit check, because it the nails are too long, removing the lowest grill can be cumbersome.

Tom Chilton - nice site. I was impressed with your cooking background.

Glenn

I just use a rack that has feet on it. I stand it right on the top grate, with my butt or whatever underneathe it, and put my whatever else (say ribs) on top of it. Works like a peach!

Greg,
You took the words out of my mouth!! I was going to ask the exact same thing!
icon_eek.gif

Glen,

I get the picture now! Thanks. I'll be trying that sooner or later...when the bad ankle is healed and I feel like a project.

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back