Accuracy of propane tank level meter on S/E-x70 Summit grills?

Kevin_K

For anyone who owns a Summit grill (70 series) how accurate is the propane tank level meter? From pictures it looks like the gauge uses some type of spring scale to measure the weight of the tank, but is there a way to calibrate the scale such that it knows how heavy the tank is when empty? Or do all standard propane tanks weigh the same when empty?

I think it is the same tank hanger scale on the Summit is the same used on Genesis grills. Accuracy if fair at best to not good.

I don't' rely on mine. I just keep a full spare tank or two on hand.

i would not bank an important cook on that, it’s a pretty simple garage spring(cross thread reference) drag weight. Don’t count on it, have a spare handy at all times. I’m glad I have had more than one on “standby” more than once.

They're okay, in that you get a rough idea of the fuel level.
I'll echo my fellow posters and recommend having a full spare.

Gas, briquets, lump or pellets, it's always better to have more than one, just like alcohol or BBQ.

Agree that the scale is roughly accurate. I do seem to get a lot of miles out of my tanks even after they register E.

Definitely have a back up tank.

Even better, refill your tanks at a place where they just charge you for the propane used (like a gas station) rather than the swap. That eliminates the cheapskate need/urge to get every last BTU out of the almost empty tank before switching.

I swap the tank when my gauge first gets to the lowest setting. So I never have to watch for whether the tank has run dry. Very annoying to have to change the tank mid cook.

Last edited:

Back