Access Point for use away from home

That's what I was saying in post #13 up there. You wouldn't need to do it in the bootloader, just in the Linux startup. There are two issues though:

1) How do you configure the parameters? The LuCI configuration pages are only aware of The Configuration, not multiple.
2) Does AP mode even work with the rtl8192cu? I tried it and I could see the AP but no data would go. I'd seen somewhere that the chipset might require a special hostapd, so...

The other issue is that it is a hardware mod so it isn't as easy as checking a box on the website.

That's what I was saying in post #13 up there. You wouldn't need to do it in the bootloader, just in the Linux startup. There are two issues though:

1) How do you configure the parameters? The LuCI configuration pages are only aware of The Configuration, not multiple.
2) Does AP mode even work with the rtl8192cu? I tried it and I could see the AP but no data would go. I'd seen somewhere that the chipset might require a special hostapd, so...

The other issue is that it is a hardware mod so it isn't as easy as checking a box on the website.
1) i dont think you need to configure the parameters ..... is it possible to do a dual boot scenario???? if we could do that we have one path (circuit open) be the normal wifi only mode and it boots to that sector and then circuit closed be ap mode which is a seperate boot itself and ready to go.
2) no clue havent messed with it to much just got everything up and running and i ordered the wrong wifi adapter, i am sure we could find a way

i dont see the hardware mod as being to difficult to install it is pretty much like putting the thermistor in just tying into a current solder.
besides you want it to be a hardware mod... because if you didnt set it to be a access point before you left your network it would be more difficult to change it. With a hardware mod which should only be two solder points you can choose on the fly
best part is if someone doesnt do that mod the connection is always open and they will never know the second boot exists. so you dont need to create and maintain two different images

I would agree that it would have to be a hardware thing that sets it, because you don't want to have to figure out a way to do it from the website once you've forgotten and already left your home network. You can't dual boot in the traditional sense because the bootloader kernel is fixed and root filesystem pointer is in the FAT filesystem. All well before our userland code runs. Also it is just a configuration change, switching the wifi to AP mode from station mode and launching the DHCP server. There'd be no need to boot to another copy of the operating system because the operation system already handles both modes.

The "how do I configure it" point is therefore pretty big. If it is two config files, you have config A (client) and config B (AP) and also config C (the active config). You can only edit C but there's no way to propagate your changes back to the appropriate A or B so on the next boot when the config is installed, the right updated values are used.

#2 is still the bigger problem. I don't think it works.

I would agree that it would have to be a hardware thing that sets it, because you don't want to have to figure out a way to do it from the website once you've forgotten and already left your home network. You can't dual boot in the traditional sense because the bootloader kernel is fixed and root filesystem pointer is in the FAT filesystem. All well before our userland code runs. Also it is just a configuration change, switching the wifi to AP mode from station mode and launching the DHCP server. There'd be no need to boot to another copy of the operating system because the operation system already handles both modes.

The "how do I configure it" point is therefore pretty big. If it is two config files, you have config A (client) and config B (AP) and also config C (the active config). You can only edit C but there's no way to propagate your changes back to the appropriate A or B so on the next boot when the config is installed, the right updated values are used.

so what if you boot into configuration A (client) there isnt any way to overwrite A with C if you hit save settings somehow????

trying to think around this thing

an option B would be not creating a true dual boot but 2 drives.
get to a point in the boot up where it decides what to boot and then instead of finishing the boot on the sd card we divert the system to boot on a usb memory stick..... kind of a annoying situation but may be more possible

one last idea may be the best. what if we used 2 wifi devices and worked it like a network extender. one could connect to the router and the other could act like the access point ???
I will do some research tonight and check on the possibilities with this

hey something just hit me..... anyway to add a bluetooth dongle????? and just do a tether situation... we only care about accessing the thing from our phone. at this point i may just create 2 sd cards..... would that work.....nothing should be stored on the heatermeter itself right???????

I was also wondering about the bluetooth connection also, and was searching the web for bluetooth with the Raspberry and found this site (http://blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/a-cheap-bluetooth-serial-port-for-your-raspberry-pi). This information is a little above my knowledge base when it comes to this. Not sure if it is possible or not.

i am thinking 2 sd cards may be the easiest way to go..... very easy to switch no hardware modifications required or special programming... i have a ton of sd cards laying aroun tooo

Back