AB's Meatloaf

Originally posted by Jeff Bowerman:
after i made my first meatloaf on the bbq, i am not allowed to make it any other way..it simply turns out great..very good smokey flavor

without pics it didnt happen right??

2uojjip.jpg

30l2e6w.jpg

Jeff - How many chunks of wood did you use?

Cooking a meatloaf tonight and don't want to over smoke it. Have cherry and mesquite on-hand. Think i'll just use the cherry.

Stefan,

I believe used 1 small piece of hickory and 1 small piece of pecan on the one below. Both pieces did not total a normal fist size chunk that I would use in the WSM. Because there is a good bit of fat, you don't want to oversmoke it... but at the same time it's not going to be in there too long. I think mesquite might over power it.

abm09.jpg

I'm making this tonight...a couple of questions though...

Would I be better of on the kettle or the WSM?

Also I want to use up some wood chips that I have. Apple, Mesquite, Hickory or some type of blend?

I was thinking kettle and a small amount of Mesquite.

Either cooker. Kettle means less fuel. Personally, I think straight apple is the way to go here. Use foil packets.

Jon,

How did it turn out? I wouldn't think mesquite would work well. The fat in the meatloaf really absorbs the smoke flavor well, so mesquite may be too much.

It turned out very good. I used the wsm and Apple chips. I actually could have used more smoke. I only used about 3-4 chips. The temp was hovering at 300 with a full lit load and a half unit load of k, I propped the door and the temp spiked to 375.
IMAG0100.jpg

I threw on some hot sausages with it also. They came out awesome.
IMAG0098.jpg

Originally posted by Jon Chappel:
It turned out very good. I used the wsm and Apple chips. I actually could have used more smoke. I only used about 3-4 chips. The temp was hovering at 300 with a full lit load and a half unit load of k, I propped the door and the temp spiked to 375.
]

Right -- more chips! With a lighter wood like apple, I don't think you need to worry much about oversmoking. The beef in the loaf can handle the flavor. I've been using oak and cherry (together) with several chunks of each with no problem.

Rich

Back