A wok on the grill?

Richard Hinton

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone use a traditional Chinese wok for cooking on their grill? I'd love to know what approach you take: Wok on cooking grate or in coals? Flat-bottom or round-bottom wok? Loop handles or skillet handle? Carbon steel or cast-iron?
I've done stir fry in my CI skillet on my Performer but haven't been happy with the results. I'm wondering if a wok will improve things.
Thanks.

The whole idea behind a wok is very very high heat. My new cooktop has a very high heat center burner that will work. My Performer can produce high heat but I think that you would have to do it something like the caveman porterhouse that has been discussed the last few days. That could be adapted to a Performer easily enough.The only problem I can see is getting a wok that close to the coals will make it somewhat difficult to cook on. I think I will have to try it and see how well it will work. The wok attachments I have seen for the Weber grilling system seems a little shallow to me after comparing to my 25 year old steel wok. As for CI, it is an interesting idea since it will hold heat very well. I don't recall seeing a CI wok though. My steel wok has to be seasoned like CI and should not be washed with detergent either.
I think that I should get back to cooking Chinese. It is very healthy and very good.
Good Luck.

14", flat bottom, long handle, carbon steel wok. You need a wok ring with the round bottom woks for stability. Long handles stay cool. Can regulate temperature better with carbon steel. Once cast iron gets hot, there's no going back and you need a mitt. On the cooking grate, a wok can get too hot and I'd think on the coals too hot for hands.
Both have to be thoroughly washed with soap and scouring pads to get off the factory applied lubricant that they put on to prevent rusting priior to sale. Both have to be seasoned

Last edited:
I have the weber gourmet grill grate. I leave the center open and have a round bottom steel wok that fits perfect. We love doing stir fry out on my performer that way.

Mike

Here is what I have and works great!
http://www.southwestdisk.com/22-bosque-del-apache-oak-wood-design/

Here it is on my grill.

IMG-20110410-00005.jpg

OK Jeff, that looks great. How hot can you get it? How well do you like it? Looks like it works great!!

Thanks, all, for your replie and sage advice.
While I love your wok, Jeff, this beginner is a bit intimidated by its size.
I ordered a 14", flat bottom, long handle, carbon steel wok from a place in San Francisco's Chinatown.
I'll post a picture during my first outdoor wok cook.
Now all I have to decide is whether to use the wok on my Performer, as originally planned, or try it by setting it on my Weber chimney or maybe remove the tamale pot from my mini-WSM build and use my SJS. I love options.

Last edited:
I ordered a 14", flat bottom, long handle, carbon steel wok from a place in San Francisco's Chinatown.
or try it by setting it on my Weber chimney
I suggested that wok because I figured you would be using it indoors too. I have one and it works nicely indoors and out. However, JMO, it seems dangerous to set it up on the chimney, but you be the judge

I opted to use my Performer as my cooking platform for the 14-inch wok suggested by Dave/G.
Here's a pepper beef I put together last night, following a recipe in Grace Young's "Stir-frying to the Sky's Edge" book on woks and stir-frying.
She's definitely correct when she says to have everything ready and lined up before you start.
Sliced bell pepper, red onion and beef, ginger and the sauce stand ready as the wok heats up over the charcoal.
wok1_zps20747c0f.jpg

The beef went on first tp get seared befpre a quick stir.
wok2_zps6d491047.jpg

Then in went the onions, sliced and smashed ginger for a quick stir before the bell pepper was added.
wok3_zpsa18657cd.jpg

The everything back in the wok for a quick stir-fry before plating
wok4_zpsbd29f89d.jpg

Wanted to eat while it was hot, so no plated pictures. I will say it was a great meal.
Thanks, all, for the great wok advice.

Here's a pepper beef I put together last night, following a recipe in Grace Young's "Stir-frying to the Sky's Edge" book on woks and stir-frying.
She's definitely correct when she says to have everything ready and lined up before you start.
That's a good book. Good luck with your future stir frying

Back